HybridZ

Trans info needed

s13vert

What's up ppl, I'm new to the vg but I've been doing some research maybe not in the right places. I came here because from what I've been reading you guys know your stuff. I'm getting a vg30de within a few months for cheap. My question is about the transmission I was reading that you could use the z31 trans with the vg bellhousing to bolt up to the vg30(this is going into a s13 chassis) so I could keep the shifter location and the stock driveshaft. I couldn't find a definite answer on what clutch can be used I read that some have redrilled the clutch plate to fit but I don't want to do that if I don't have too.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Thanks, chris

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Please title your post properly as per rules

Does any one have any info? And I already know about the bellhousing swap and the xsessive kit and the one from enjuku racing, I'm trying to look for a cheaper route. I just need to know what clutch can be used???

VG30DE should bolt up with the Z31 tranny if you're using a VG30DE bellhousing. I would imagine the VG30DE clutch should work fine with that setup.. The Z32 tranny isn't that much different sized than the Z31 tranny, so why not stick with the whole package? perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question...

Edit: OH! duh, in a S13.. Still the VG30DE clutch should fit if you're using the VG bellhousing. You may need to move the motor mounts a bit if you're trying not to move the tranny. Nothing ever lines up perfectly.

Edited by Pharaohabq

Pharaohabq thanks for your input, I read in another forum that the z31 trans is the same as the trans for the ka24de and with a vg bellhousing on the ka trans it will bolt up to the vg? do you know if this is true?

• 3 weeks later...

Pharaohabq thanks for your input, I read in another forum that the z31 trans is the same as the trans for the ka24de and with a vg bellhousing on the ka trans it will bolt up to the vg? do you know if this is true?

Sorry Can't answer that for certain, I haven't ever played with a KA24.

• 1 month later...

The question is whether whether the starter locations would interfere with your install.

The Z31 version of the fs5r30 has the starter mounted beside the skirt of the block with the snout of the starter pointed rearward.

starter pics are oriented as if front of car were at right.

z31 starter.

8052130-1.jpg

The Z32 version has the starter bolted to the side of the bellhousing and exists beside the bellhousing with the "snout" pointing toward the front of the car.

m305speedswap007ou4.jpg

Z32tranny16p30.JPG

Edited by HowlerMonkey