HybridZ

I want to run the 300zx Turbo ECU and Harness without the Turbo

JSM

I'm going to be doing a 300zx Turbo ECU swap with the 300zx turbo harness too, instead of converting the 280zxt harness like everyone else seems to have done. For testing purposes, I'm not going to run the turbo at first. I'm going to eventually put the turbo on, however, to insure I've don'e all my wiring correctly I just want to throw the whole setup on my NA car as it is apart already and would be much easier to do.

Aside from running rich can anyone think of why I shouldn't do this? Possible problems?

Edited by JSM

My only thought on this Tony was using the bigger turbo injectors at idle and their effect, 180 vs the 260. I have some NA injectors I could use too, but the turbo injectors are already installed.

For the short time I plan on running this setup NA it's probably negligible for what I'm wanting to achieve.

Sorry I didnt' state that in my initial post.

Edited by JSM

The 300zx turbo ecu is setup for the turbo injectors.

Thanks Bernardd, I'm aware, I was planning on using turbo injectors for the final swap. I think I'll run it as if the turbo was there and if it runs rich for bit, so be it.

Bernardd beat me to it, and I was about to mention the MAF does a far better job of actually measuring air at idle and compensating with proper pulsewidth.

Remember, the differential is really only 200CC's of displacement, WELL within even a basic O2 sensor trim capability.

The VG 3.0 at idle is flowing only slightly more than the 2.8...and the MAF/O2 sensor will more than take care of it. The turbo isn't operating all the time---people forget a turbocharged car is N/A for the first couple thousand RPMs and at most conditions below 80mph anyway.

I have a 280ZXT with a hollow turbo...runs just fine.

Same goes for a 300ZXT---no different.

I strongly doubt it will run rich...if it does, it was running rich on the 3.0 as well.

Mass air flow is mass air flow. Displacement within 10% of total capacity is irrelevant.

(AND...if I can take a 164CID AND 145CID Corvair engines and put 'dumb' 280Z EFI onto it and it doesn't run rich with that terrible AFM system... The sophisticated MAF should handle your simple swap with aplomb.)