HybridZ

Pulling 280zxt harness from donor car

I am trying and have spent the last 2 hours of my life trying to get the green efi relay harness through this cluster f*ck of wiring on the passenger side of this 83 turbo... I cannot for the life me get this harness out through this mess of other wiring. I feel like taking my hedge clippers to the other wiring. I have pulled off the fender, I took out the blower motor housing, there are just so many wires. There are all of these other white thicker wires going through the hole in the fire wall. What do I need to do?

You shouldn't have to do that much. It is simply screwed in place, the EFI relay. You must unscrew the fuse block also.

Oh, you did remove the big rubber gromet right? It should just slide through the hole.

You pulling from the inside of the car out right?

If your trying to pull much more than this your pulling the wrong thing likely.

IMG_0735.jpg

Edited by JSM

It is as though this part of the harness with what I believe has 3 wires in intertwined with the rest of the body harness. Basically I want to know if it is ok to start snipping other wires besides those to pull the wires through to the engine bay through the inner fender.

You shouldn't have to do that much. It is simply screwed in place, the EFI relay. You must unscrew the fuse block also.

Oh, you did remove the big rubber gromet right? It should just slide through the hole.

You pulling from the inside of the car out right?

If your trying to pull much more than this your pulling the wrong thing likely.

IMG_0735.jpg

No these are on the passenger side intermingled with the green relay for the EFI.

Here is how I started. I unplugged the 3 plugs going into the ECU by the drivers kick panel. I then broke all the clips loose on the driver side wheel well and disconnected all the injectors and marked their corresponding locations. I unbolted 2 or 3 ground wires to the manifold, two round plugs going somewhere down towards the front of the engine and some other what I believe are cold start/emissions plugs. I then worked my way over underneath the hood latch on the fire wall to some relay or something over behind the front right strut tower. Those lead to the hole in the inner fender to the hole in the firewall, and that is where I am at. I also disconnected some wires off of the starter.

If your talking about the coil wires with the power transitor yes I cut those (drivers side). Those are integrated into the body harness.

I'm assuming the battery is removed, you unscewed all the scews and unscewed the relay itself from the inner fender. From the EFI relay I believe there are two wires that go into the black fusible link box circled. You can either cut them or unclip the plug that leads to the box itself. You kind of have to work it to get the plug out of the box. You don't need any of the wires from the fusible link box. I'm not aware of any other wires from that area.

280zxt_engine.jpg

Edited by JSM

How many wires go to the plug for that green relay up under the passenger side of the dash? Some of the wires do go through the firewall, other go to the main harness and disappear. Here is a picture of the plug and the wires. post-19549-038230000 1309224180_thumb.jpgThis went to the green relay. I already snipped a larger wire that "Y'ed" off to somewhere else from another green wire.

I'm assuming the battery is removed, you unscewed all the scews and unscewed the relay itself from the inner fender. From the EFI relay I believe there are two wires that go into the black fusible link box circled. You can either cut them or unclip the plug that leads to the box itself. You kind of have to work it to get the plug out of the box. You don't need any of the wires from the fusible link box. I'm not aware of any other wires from that area.

280zxt_engine.jpg

There should be no wires going from the EFI relay to under the dash, they go to the Fusible link box.

Your not talking about post #20 here are you?

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/34469-a-quick-fi-and-ignition-280zxt-to-s30-turbo-swap-guide/

Also here is the harness blown up a bit. Look past the rubber gromet towards the ECU plugs. There is nothing else there attached to the harness. I think there is one more white plug that plugs into a silver control box on the 82/83 harness. I don't see it on this one and it is not used.

280zxt_harness.jpg

Edited by JSM

Looking at that I must be over on the ignition side of things. I am dealing with items underneath the passenger dash where the rubber grommet passes through the firewall.

There should be no wires going from the EFI relay to under the dash, they go to the Fusible link box.

Your not talking about post #20 here are you?

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/34469-a-quick-fi-and-ignition-280zxt-to-s30-turbo-swap-guide/

Also here is the harness blown up a bit. Look past the rubber gromet towards the ECU plugs. There is nothing else there attached to the harness. I think there is one more white plug that plugs into a silver control box on the 82/83 harness. I don't see it on this one and it is not used.

280zxt_harness.jpg

Yes I am talking about any and all wires that go behind that black panel into the car by the passenger kick panel.

280zxt_engine.jpg

I have a 77 280z, it should have a relay already right? So do I even need that green relay and the plug?

I think you're talking about the fuel pump relay. If you need it, just pull the plug and as much wire as you can get - you'll need to do a little re-wiring anyway if your swapee doesn't already have a fuel pump relay...

Let me put it this way, unbolt the relays from the body, unbolt the fuse block from the body, any wires that keep you from pulling the harness out on the passengers side, CUT THEM. You don't need those anyway. They are pretty much power wires for other circuits that happen to tie into the fuse link box. Look at the cover and it tells you what they are for.

Edited by cygnusx1

Will do, FWIW the fuse cover was gone from the car.

Let me put it this way, unbolt the relays from the body, unbolt the fuse block from the body, any wires that keep you from pulling the harness out on the passengers side, CUT THEM. You don't need those anyway. They are pretty much power wires for other circuits that happen to tie into the fuse link box. Look at the cover and it tells you what they are for.

LOL that works too. Just keep a close eye on the parts car. Keep it handy just in case you need something.

Here are pictures of all the wires. Tell me what needs to be cut. Sorry to be a ******, I just don't want to fubar this operation.

post-19549-062453500 1309401152_thumb.jpeg

post-19549-065870500 1309401165_thumb.jpeg

post-19549-011852900 1309401174_thumb.jpeg

post-19549-051970500 1309401183_thumb.jpeg