HybridZ

260Z & 280Z Brake Booster and MC replacment

I came into possession of a brake booster and master cylinder from a 1992 BNR32 gtr front clip. That may not sound helpful, but it is. You see the booster and the MC are both available on USDM market vehicles. The MC is a common upgrade for the 240sx group. I think its a Z32 non-abs MC. The power booster is from a 240sx I believe as well. The Q45 booster might work. I had one around and it looked to be a slightly larger diameter, but it appeared to clear the clutch cylinder. For reference I here is my first thread when I started.

This is not a bolt in though.

I cut a piece of thick paper into a template. I placed the template over the bulk head and marked it out. The only stud I had a clearance issue with was the bottom right stud. It was very close to the pedal box wall. So I ground the pedal box enough to get the nut and washer on it.

This particular MC has the proportioning valve and such built into it. Thats great because I was able to just pull out all the extra brake system crud in the engine bay. The front line is the rear brakes and the 2 rears are the left and right. Simply run the 3 lines out to the brake system and eliminate the old Pressure Regulator Valve and Pressure Differential Valve. There was another catch here. No one carries a 10mm line joint for a hydraulic system. Well at least not the common places like Summit or Jegs. I found CSC of Salinas could order them from BrakeQuip. I ordered 2 and used both to connect to the existing lines for the right and rear brakes located on the bulkhead in my 260Z where the PRV was.

for brake parts reference:

post-273-083886500 1309393579_thumb.jpg

I connected the 'brake' light wire to the new master level sensor. I dont need a light to tell me when the system fails... My foot tells me just as fast. Now I will have an indicator of brake wear as the light comes on and level goes low.

Im very satisfied with the results here as well. The pedal feedback is superior to the original and the assist is very adequate. Im definitely ready for rear disc brakes now. I just need to determine if there is a block in the back somewhere that is a metering valve for drums and if so eliminate it.

Another upside to this is that the MC and booster are probably more readily available than the original 260z stuff. I havent looked up costs of the MC yet for a rebuilt version, but im sure its similar in costs to the 260Z unit, more available, and now there is less parts in my engine bay to break. Ive replaced both the PRV and PDV once or twice since 2002(but not with new parts).

P1050876.jpg

P1050877.jpg

Hope this is somewhat helpful even though its not a full out writeup on the install. Its pretty straight forward to anyone that already knows how to adjust properly and hook up a power booster and MC.

Edited by rayaapp2