HybridZ

Shorter Oil Pan - What are my options?

Guest mattrp

Guest mattrp

This week i went crazy and installed a set of ground control coilovers and kyb gas struts. I have lowered the car so much that I only have about 2 inches of clearnace between the oil pan and the ground. Currently the exhaust is lower, but when that is tucked away nicely, i want to go lower. I am concerned about my oil pan. Are there options out there that provide a much less depth pan?

Matt

72 500Z

Not too many... You could go with a drysump, or you could run a fabricated pan, but be careful that in the design you keep the oil pickup surrounded by baffles and a trap door, so you don't suck air in the tube...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

I'm going ot be in the same position when the time comes to install the engine and deal with clearances. My plan is to buy a cheap plain steel stock replacement pan from Summit and then chop the bottom of the pan off. I'm going to widen the pan on the bottom to allow for probably 9 quarts pf oil. I'll be modifying a pickup to work with the pan and will add a trap door system to keep the oil where it should be. I intend on having the engine as low as possible but it has been stressed by people on this forum that the real clearance problem will be the transmission bellhousing. I'm not sure what I'm going to do abour this...possibly a small diameter clutch and custom bellhousing???

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

FAbricate or buy a really good one from a good shop like a Canton pan, they have v. good quality pans. Many other shallow ones aren't near as good at oil control like cheaper Hamburger pans etc. A good pan can be worth 25-ft-lbs on a good motor. I had a Canton Lt1 pan but it offered me a little less clearance up front but rest was beautiful!