HybridZ

Clutch engage/disengage.

I have a 1977 280z 2+2 with a 4 speed tranny. I took out the engine without the tranny and cleaned it up and a new headgasket.Today I installed the engine and it went in with no problems. Bolted up the tranny, Tighten the engine mounts. And i went to press the clutch pedal and it was very stiff so i pressed it some more and it shot the clutch slave rod out of it. I took it off and the clutch lever snapped back and is VERY hard to move.

How long has your car been sitting? It sounds like the throwout bearing carrier is rusted to the front cover snout. You might need to remove the engine or trans and take a look.

It been sitting for a good 3-4months without any movement, but while i had the engine out there was no rust inside the tranny at all. im confused maybe i put something in wrong or crooked?

Also the tranny/clutch was perfect before i removed the engine.

Basically what happened was i installed the motor. when to press the clutch it was VERY hard and rough. i let go and pumped it again and the rod inside the clutch slave shot out and the pedal lost pressure.

i removed the clutch slave and the lever that was connected it to it shot back very fast and is hard/impossible to move

Now that you have the slave cylinder off does the clutch pedal move easily? Does the push rod on the slave cylinder move in and out as you press and release the clutch pedal? Perhaps the slave cylinder is frozen. Does the clutch release arm have any free, easy movement at all?

Now that you have the slave cylinder off does the clutch pedal move easily? Does the push rod on the slave cylinder move in and out as you press and release the clutch pedal? Perhaps the slave cylinder is frozen. Does the clutch release arm have any free, easy movement at all?

The push rod on the slave cylinder popped out ALL the way and wont go back in , ill have to buy a new one

the clutch release arm WILL not move its suck al the way forward (towards the front of the car)

Have you changed anything like the clutch fork, clutch or carrier?

If not then something wasn't quite aligned when you Put it all back together.

Sounds like you're going to have to take the box or engine out and check how the carrier and clutch fork is sitting.

I attached the clutch section of the service manual for a '73. It should be the essentially the same as your '77. There are several illustrations of the clutch and release assemblies.

CL Clutch.pdf

If you want to get the '77 manual look here: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

You said the push-rod came out and won't go back in. Why not? What about the piston and spring? There is nothing that hold these parts into the cylinder except the fit with the release arm. If it came out and won't go back in it must be due to some sort of damage that occurred when it was forced apart. Otherwise, you might simply need to remove the cylinder from the transmission so you can reassemble it properly.

Anyhow, you still need to determine what caused the push-rod to come out. To hazard a guess, perhaps the release arm became misaligned with the push-rod while the engine was out. When you put it back together the clutch was held in the released position as a result. When you pressed the clutch pedal the release arm had nowhere to go so the force caused the push-rod to slide off the release arm towards the outside rather than back into its seat. If you can recall, when you reinstalled the engine did it seat all the way to the transmission easily or did you need to use the mounting screws to pull it all the way down?

I attached the clutch section of the service manual for a '73. It should be the essentially the same as your '77. There are several illustrations of the clutch and release assemblies.

CL Clutch.pdf

If you want to get the '77 manual look here: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

You said the push-rod came out and won't go back in. Why not? What about the piston and spring? There is nothing that hold these parts into the cylinder except the fit with the release arm. If it came out and won't go back in it must be due to some sort of damage that occurred when it was forced apart. Otherwise, you might simply need to remove the cylinder from the transmission so you can reassemble it properly.

Anyhow, you still need to determine what caused the push-rod to come out. To hazard a guess, perhaps the release arm became misaligned with the push-rod while the engine was out. When you put it back together the clutch was held in the released position as a result. When you pressed the clutch pedal the release arm had nowhere to go so the force caused the push-rod to slide off the release arm towards the outside rather than back into its seat. If you can recall, when you reinstalled the engine did it seat all the way to the transmission easily or did you need to use the mounting screws to pull it all the way down?

I thought once the push rod comes out its no good anymore, Well i bought a new one its only 13$ at autozone. And I used mounting screws to pull it all the way down. im guessing when i did that i messed somthing up?

Did you look at the pictures in beerman's attachment? If you pushed the clutch fork forward, you might have pushed it off the pivot ball, you should have pushed it backwards and made sure it was seated on the pivot ball correctly. It should hang there. It's supposed to be held on to the ball with a retaining spring. Look at pictures #1 and #11. #11 shows the spring clip. If the retaining spring isn't holding the fork it might be dropping below the pivot ball and jamming. You might be able to lift it up while you install the slave cylinder to get it to work, if your spring is screwed up.