HybridZ

relocate electric fuel pump from stock location?

My 77' 280Z V-8 swap is real close to hitting the road. Trip to town for exhaust is all that is needed. Car has medium built 327, T56 Tranny. I am real excited to get it on the road but i have this over whelming desire to move to Holley fuel pump from the stock location which worked really nice and clean. My problem is the thought of breaking a half-shaft u-joint on the right side and completely pulverizing the pump and fuel lines, with the huge possibility of a fire. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone, and i have been told that i worry too much... is this the case?

If you're worried about your half-shafts, switch to CV shafts :)

I think you're worrying too much. You can always place the pump/lines more towards the middle of the tank/car so even if a shaft does break it's not like it's going to fly all the way across the car to take it out.

If it does however, consider yourself extremely unlucky, and you should probably never go outside again...although your house is probably gonna burn down anyway so you might as well just end it all now.

And that's why I just wouldn't worry about it.

I think it is great that you are thinking ahead of problems. If you are worried about it, make the changes. I have seen a few Z-cars with metal hoops around the half-shafts, kind of like a mini driveshaft loop. It bolts down to the lower control arm using the extra sway bar holes. Just a thought about broken half-shaft restraint. If you don't address your fears, you will be restrained with the go pedal, and that really puts a damper on your fun factor.

I would be worrying about that holley fuel pump working for more than a year (if it is a typical holley carb fuel pump). Those brushes wear out quickly and those pumps are super loud.

I would use the stock efi pump and use a aeromotive return style fuel pressure regulator than can go down to 5-7 psi ($125 from sumitracing).

I would be worrying about that holley fuel pump working for more than a year (if it is a typical holley carb fuel pump). Those brushes wear out quickly and those pumps are super loud.

I would use the stock efi pump and use a aeromotive return style fuel pressure regulator than can go down to 5-7 psi ($125 from sumitracing).

I would agree that the pump is loud, i could really tell from my wife's facial expression on her first ride. Will keep it in there until it wears out, and the stock pump is landfill. Will keep in mind for later though...