HybridZ

Megasquirt starter wiring issue

Two80z4me

Hey, so when I hook up the battery as soon as I touch the negative cable onto the battery the starter starts going, nice to know it works, but not how I want it to lol.

So, here's how I have it wired.

12v batt to the megasquirt board from the same port on the starter that goes to the positive battery terminal, and the fuses.

The other 12v constant from the same point goes to the 12v on the dizzy.

the key on 12v goes to the same one I have radio hooked to, so that shouldn't be a problem since the key wasn't in either.

Thanks,

Sean.

Are any battery to starter wires touching or rubbing through, on the signal wire?. Did you change how the ignition switch is getting power?. Any changes in wiring during megasquirt install?.

Nothing was changed in the install, I simply wired my two 12v constant wires to the post on the starter that the positive battery cable goes to.

I did not change how the ignition was getting power, nor did I change any wires over other than the simple megasquirt install.

Disconnect the small wire from the blade terminal on the starter solenoid. If it still does it afterward, it is a fault in the starter.

Otherwise, I would guess that you have wired it up in such a way that you are getting 12 V to that wire when the key is off.

Sam

Could it possibly be because I don't have the tune installed yet on megasquirt ECU? I have it hooked up but I was just going to test all the wiring and such before I put the tune in and tried to start it, just to make sure the starter and the power wires were hooked correctly, as I found they are not lol

so I removed the two 12v constant wires and just let them sit where they wouldn't get any power what so ever, went to hook the battery up and same result. So I'm thinking it could be the Black 16 gauge wire left over from the stock ecu, on that terminal there are...

+Battery Cable

+Power for Fusible Links (converted to fuse boxes)

+(assuming) the black wire is power from the ignition, but could it possibly be getting tripped out by having nothing telling it what to do and free power?

Any typical MS install should have no effect on the starter itself.

Having no tune loaded to the MS will not effect the starter.

Yeah, I had to sit back and think about that for a minute. I felt really dumb afterward haha