HybridZ

Another headgasket quest

82 turbo z

So I'm almost done building my l28et and need a nice headgasket and would really like to not spend 300 bucks on one but if I have to then I will since I haven't skipped out on the other goods lol but all I need to put this thing back together is headgasket and bearings. Pretty sure I've found several options for bearings but having a hard time choosing a headgasket. Found this on courtesyparts but for an l24 l26 I'm not familiar with. 11044-E4620

Why is it people think that you need a metal gasket for turbos? The Nissan OEM gasket will work fine as is up to 15-16psi. If you need better sealing, you can groove the block just outside the fire ring and add sealing wire:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0108_isky_groove_o_matic/photo_09.html

I've been running an OEM gasket for at least 10 years now @15psi. Lots of track days, no issues (no detonation though). Which brings up another advantage of the OEM gasket. If you detonate with an OEM gasket you will probably just blow the gasket. If you detonate with a metal gasket, you will break ring lands. What is easier to fix?

Or, you can order a copper gasket from Hussey in the thickness and bore you want. $100 delivered (got the one for my race motor in two days).

P4020018.jpg

P4020022.jpg

Yes, it would be great if Cometic, or Cosworth would start making L6 gaskets. Chances are they won't. The problem with the Big bore MLS gasket from Tomei is that it is only 90mm bore. This leaves I nice groove around the combustion chamber for detonation to develop. The Kameari I believe is also available in an 86mm version. Big bucks though.

I'm bored .040 over with custom 87mm wiesco forged pistons would the stock Nissan gasket still work cause I beloved they are stock 87mm bore on the gasket?? And with the copper is it able to withstand the boost and pressure cause I'll be pushing about 15-18 as well.

I'm bored .040 over with custom 87mm wiesco forged pistons would the stock Nissan gasket still work cause I beloved they are stock 87mm bore on the gasket?? And with the copper is it able to withstand the boost and pressure cause I'll be pushing about 15-18 as well.

The OEM gasket should work fine with an 87mm bore. But as with anything, take measurements, check. Boost will not blowout a copper gasket. There is no safety valve as with an MLS gasket. You see a lit of copper gaskets in top fuel NHRA funny cars / dragsters.

Ok awesome thanks I guess my only other question about the copper gasket would be what prep do I need to do before putting it on? Is it just clean and make sure all surfaces are flat ( like I'm doing) and use a special copper adhesive or is there more to it? Thanks for the helpful info gets me one step closer to finishing.

Ok awesome thanks I guess my only other question about the copper gasket would be what prep do I need to do before putting it on? Is it just clean and make sure all surfaces are flat ( like I'm doing) and use a special copper adhesive or is there more to it? Thanks for the helpful info gets me one step closer to finishing.

Yes, clean everything extremely well (but you should be doing that anyway). Make sure it is clean and dry and there is no oily residue. Yes, the head and block need to be flat (again, you should make sure of this anyway).

3-4 coats of this:

copper_gasket_spray.jpg

Let it tack up overnight.

Pete

I can thoroughly vouch for the copper gasket route.

I use a 1.4mm copper gasket machined to fit 88mm bores on a P90 head and N42 block with 12:1 comp. When I first used it I had to ease it very slightly with an air die to fit, heads been on and off so many times I have lost count, just clean the gasket up with wire wool (anneal if necessary) spray with Hylomar gasket dressing and re fit.

Awesome ok I know this is probably a dumb question but I've never worked with a copper gasket do I spray the gasket spray on the block only, or both block and head, or everything from block, gasket, and head. That's all the info I need I guess haha I'm going to go for the copper gasket.

Awesome ok I know this is probably a dumb question but I've never worked with a copper gasket do I spray the gasket spray on the block only, or both block and head, or everything from block, gasket, and head. That's all the info I need I guess haha I'm going to go for the copper gasket.

Copper spray just on the gasket.

I use the NIS-01 + 3.425 (87mm bore) 0.079" thickness (2mm) from:

http://www.husseycopper.com/HusseyPerformance/Gaskets.htm

Call them and they can tell you what thickneses are available. Stock gasket thickness is 1.25mm (0.0492")