HybridZ

Walbro 255 GSL392 on stock 77 280z

sito

Hey all

Sorry for the noob question, but I think my fuel pump went recently so I'm getting a replacement. At the same time I have future plans for a turbo swap or turboing my current motor so I was looking to upgrade to the walbro 255 GSL392 in line pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GSL392/. The question is will the walbro 255 work with the stock FPR and setup on my current car as I don't have plans to swap or turbo the motor immediately. Also as far as wiring goes will the walbro 255 wire right in? or will I need to run additional/other wiring? Would I also need any additional hardware etc? or is it a pretty straight forward swap. I see alot of people run the walbro on ls1/upgraded turbo motors or sr's rbs etc but I'm not sure if it would overflow the stock motor. A little background on my car its a 77 280z F54 block, p79 head. Recently refreshed with new rings, bearings, gaskets and a valve job. 5 speed zx trans with 280zx turbo clutch and flywheel. Header, mild cam and TWM big throat throttle body.

Any input would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Pat

Hey all

Sorry for the noob question, but I think my fuel pump went recently so I'm getting a replacement. At the same time I have future plans for a turbo swap or turboing my current motor so I was looking to upgrade to the walbro 255 GSL392 in line pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GSL392/. The question is will the walbro 255 work with the stock FPR and setup on my current car as I don't have plans to swap or turbo the motor immediately. Also as far as wiring goes will the walbro 255 wire right in? or will I need to run additional/other wiring? Would I also need any additional hardware etc? or is it a pretty straight forward swap. I see alot of people run the walbro on ls1/upgraded turbo motors or sr's rbs etc but I'm not sure if it would overflow the stock motor. A little background on my car its a 77 280z F54 block, p79 head. Recently refreshed with new rings, bearings, gaskets and a valve job. 5 speed zx trans with 280zx turbo clutch and flywheel. Header, mild cam and TWM big throat throttle body.

Any input would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Pat

As long as the regulator can bypass enough of the new pump's increased flow you should be fine. You should be able to get the fuel pressure down to around your base pressure minus ~7psi.

As long

Thanks for the reply timz! I just wanted to make sure as the cars been sitting for over a week since I got her. I didn't want to get the fuel pump and find out its completely incompatible. I just want to drive it!

One more thing, so since I'm running the walbro I won't be able to have the filter screen before the gas gets to the walbro. I want to run a in line fuel filter before the pump. Any recommendations on which ones to use?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Good question, never got answer...which filter can we used before the pump???

I've read on other forums about people having success using the clear plastic 3/8 in/out filters (FRAM G3, WIX 33003) pre-pump.  They aren't advisable to use after the pump due to the pressure but people apparently have had long-term success using them before it.

I'm installing my Walbro later today and will be trying a WIX 33003 as a pre-filter.

Edited by Chris83zxt