HybridZ

sr20det s15

LaiZk10

So Ive been looking around, searching alot trying to answer my question up to date. Im about to drop in an sr20det into my 280z, and I know this question has been discussed alot but everything I find is older posts from 2002!! So my question is, up to this Year, 2011 of course...Wich Sr is better to drop in??? s15 prices have dropped to about 3-4K, what about aftermarket support? or swap kits for my Z, is the wiring harness same as the s13 or s14?? who can work this wire harness in case of choosinf the s15 sr?

Skip the S15 engine. The good points are the better turbo & slightly larger injectors, however the 6-speed tranny is notoriously weak & prone to failure. It wires the same as an S14 SR, for the most part. I personally would go for the S13 blacktop, as it interchanges 100% parts wise with the older S13 redtop, so getting aftermarket parts is cheap & easy. You'd probably want to upgrade the turbo/injectors/mafs/intake with any SR you'd pick, so you can save a bit more by choosing the S13. There are other issues with the S14/15 with regards to the VTC (Nissan's version of variable valve timing) used on those...it limits the size of cams you can use without disabling the VTC, whereas there's no issue on any S13 SR.