HybridZ

81' 5 speed scrubbing sound

Guest skimattybee

Guest skimattybee

i recently went to my local u-pull lot and picked up a 5 speed and a r200 out of a 81 280zx 2+2. I cleaned them up and changed the fluids, got the new clutch in and installed both and what'll ya know, the transmission sounds as if it is scrubbing! on accel and decel.. it also grinds shifting into 2nd gear.. my question is, what is this noise? and what should i do?

-i have the 4 speed that i pulled out and it shifts fine.

-I am not happy with the Beck/Arnley OE clutch that i put in

i am driving this car to florida in 2 weeks, about a 3 hour one way trip..i am already planning on replacing the rear wheel bearings before the trip so pulling the tranny would be no problem while i have it on the lift already

Most junkyards offer a minimal warranty on their parts for return/exchange within XX days (it's 30 where I'm from). Personally, I would probably take the transmission back and exchange it if there is anything similar in the yard.

You can always put the 4 speed back in for the trip and look into the 240sx transmission swap if they will exchange the bad 5 speed for one of those.

Guest skimattybee

does the 240sx transmission bolt up? i will probably swap in the old 4 speed and a different clutch and get the 5 speed re-manned. i got the 5 speed about 2 months ago ..the warranty was 30 days

The 240sx trans will not bolt in.

But....people have swapped the front case of your 280zx trans. onto the 240sx trans. with a certain amount of work and resizing some things.

Your best bet is if they have another one to give you and you might get one that had been reman. relatively recently.

Guest skimattybee

that sounds like a good swap, i will keep it in mind down the road when i swap in the l28et..just trying to keep my car dependable and on the road right now