HybridZ

Battery (+) Fusible Link to Computer

Hello!

Was wiggling wires under the hood and my engine died. Check and found no continuity (electron flow) across the three to four inch long fusible link that is inline between the battery (+) line to the Computer. Exterior wire diameter (with insulation) appears to be 12 gague.

Would like to replace with fusible link - but need to know if there is a certain amp. size and or guage? I figure you folks have dealt with this in the past? And any specific Auto Parts store? On Sundays (tommorrow) only O'Rileys and Auto Zone open around here. Weekdays - I usually go to NAPA.

Car is stock 76Z - with stock computer and orginal wiring.

Thanks in advance!

Did you see some sparks or smoke? There's no good reason for your fusible link to melt just by wiggling the wires. Maybe you have a bad connection.

The general feeling on the internet sites is that the green fusible links are meant to melt at 40 amps (50 amps on the MSA site below). The gauge is shown in the FSM Body Electrical section, but good luck figuring out what exactly the auto parts stores are selling, and what you should replace the green link with.

Here is one internet source for a stock style link - http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCHM - search "fusible link".

Edit - one option, if you trust MSA's 50 amp spec. would be to get an in-line ATO or blade style fuse holder and install the fuse of your choice. That's what I would do if I ever needed to replace that link.

Edited by NewZed

Did you see some sparks or smoke? There's no good reason for your fusible link to melt just by wiggling the wires. Maybe you have a bad connection.

The general feeling on the internet sites is that the green fusible links are meant to melt at 40 amps (50 amps on the MSA site below). The gauge is shown in the FSM Body Electrical section, but good luck figuring out what exactly the auto parts stores are selling, and what you should replace the green link with.

Here is one internet source for a stock style link - http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCHM - search "fusible link".

Edit - one option, if you trust MSA's 50 amp spec. would be to get an in-line ATO or blade style fuse holder and install the fuse of your choice. That's what I would do if I ever needed to replace that link.

No - no smoke, no flash - just wiggled it and it stopped allowing electrons to move. Probably corrosion in the link (da green stuff) so thinking just replace it with a new - good fusible link.

Any ideas? - I guess I will head down to the parts store and see what they got.

No - no smoke, no flash - just wiggled it and it stopped allowing electrons to move. Probably corrosion in the link (da green stuff) so thinking just replace it with a new - good fusible link.

Any ideas? - I guess I will head down to the parts store and see what they got.

Pull the insulation back (from the fusible link) and expose some of the wire. Take it with you to the part store and match it with the fusible links available. Get the closest size they have.

The factory manual for 1978 280Z has a chart listing the color and wire gauge:

Black 1.25 mm2 approx 16 AWG

Green 0.5 mm2 approx 20 AWG

Brown 0.3 mm2 approx 22 AWG

The color on the replacement fusible links may not be the same as the original.

A fusible link is a piece of wire 4 sizes smaller than the wire its protecting. So your 12 gauge wire would be protected by inserting a piece of 16 gauge wire as a fusible link. I think you see them alot in OEM setups because its cheaper than installing an in-line fuze. Personally i would agree with NewZed and install a ATO style fuze in line with the same size (12 gauge) wire.

• 2 weeks later...

A fusible link is a piece of wire 4 sizes smaller than the wire its protecting. So your 12 gauge wire would be protected by inserting a piece of 16 gauge wire as a fusible link. I think you see them alot in OEM setups because its cheaper than installing an in-line fuze. Personally i would agree with NewZed and install a ATO style fuze in line with the same size (12 gauge) wire.

Cut up the old fusible link today. The inner core wire was 0.040 inch or about 1.0 mm. To get the exterior sheathing removed the inner wire was about 18 gague.

Vintageautox