HybridZ

looking for some DCOE guru's

wookieballa

Ok, i got this car with the SU's installed, but it came with a broken down set of DCOE 40's and a F.E.T. Manifold.

I've pieced everything together for the manifold, and 99% for the carbs (looks like the owner was attempting a rebuild, but gave up on it??)

my problem is thatr i dont have any idea what size Idle jets to get. here's what was installed in the carbs when i got them:

Aux. Venturi: 35

Chokes: 32

Emulsion tube: F11

Air Corrector jet: 220

Main Jets: 140

Pump Jets: 45

Starter Jets: 100 F 5

so i have the idle jet holders, but no idle jets anywhere in all the crap that came with the carbs or the car, ive been told you guys have some awesome guys on here with a LOT of knowledge and might be able to help me out.

PLEASE tell me someone can help me get these last pieces so i can set up my carbs soon.

the SU's are cool, but everyone wants trips on their old school skyrine LOL

Thanks, Tim.

There are vendors in the US, if you want it shipped out to Japan. Off the top of my head, there is Pierce Manifolds, Redline, Weber Jets, etc...

Once you start tuning, search this board and elsewhere online. There is a sticky in the FAQ section as well. There are also books to aid you in the process.

I have a $48 credit with pierce manifolds actually, so thats where i plan on buying the missing jets from, but i need to get an idea of a good starting point. does anyone sell a jet kit that has like 6 of every jet LOL??

OH and this is an L20 engine, not L28 like most people run. its still the stock engine, BUT it had these carbs installed at one time.

Jetting your carbs takes experimentation and will be tough without a dyno or at least a wideband 02 sensor. As I said, there are books on this, e.g. Braden's book, that have some rough guidelines for setting up your carbs. You can try to order a few different sizes to try to match them up to your engine.

The carburetors function the same, whether it's an L20 or L28. Read the sticky!

you probably think I'm this whiney little nOOb that just wants to steal everyone else's hard work.. this is not the case. my post was intended to say hey if you know how to tune carbs, and have some kind of formula that you use based on your components that will get you into the ball park range of what i need, please share it with me. I'm reading the only sticky i saw in this section on webers, and its a good read, but I'm going to convert it to PDF cause i really only have a few minutes to look at this stuff here and there. ( i know you could care less about my scheduling LOL) i will put it on my iPad so i can read it on the go

so with that said. i am new to carbs, i went through all kinds of hell getting the SU's working right, and now that the car is running awesome, I'm ready to make it more complicated, and throw a wrench into the works by adding these carbs LOL.

Thanks for the suggestion (awesome avatar BTW.. love monty pythons holy grail..)

i will continue to read the guide i found, and hope it gives me some kind of idea where to start.

it would be cool if you could buy a starter kit with a nice variety of jets for these things. i had a setup like that on my TurboII FC, it was a blow through setup with Holley DP 650 carb, i had this massive set of jets that came with the carb. that damn car never ran right.. guess thats why Mazda intended it to have EFI.. but it was a cool car nonetheless

i will stop rambling now..

Braden's book has some rough sizing guides. You'll likely find similar stuff online. When I have my book on hand, I'll try to dig up some equations for you. But before I do, you must get me... a shrubbery. :lol:

Here's something you can find from a quick google search: http://cnx.org/content/m37431/latest/

Edited by Leon

To be honest, Mikuini PHH40's run about 2,000 yen each at any automotive swap meet in Japan. Go there, and get some Mikuinis. Chances are they will be complete, and for $80 you got a set of carbs on your manifold that will be able to get service parts at just about any Toyota Dealer in the nation.

Better fuel mileage with the same performance as well.

From a practical standpoint, that is how I would proceed if I was living in Japan. You can always get the Weber parts -- but then it's nothign urgent, and you can 'browse' and pick them up at your leisure for prices not making them worth more than ones machined out of solid gold... ;)

Misawa ain't THAT remote!