HybridZ

SMOKEY 240Z TURBO

Hi guys, well after 2 years I finally got my 240z Turbo swap fired up last Friday. After the car fired up and started warming up, I began to notice some sort of white, or blue smoke coming out of the pipe. The car heats up really fast too, I did a compression test, and all cylinders are at 160 psi. I also notice the plugs have some sort of burn chaulky oil on them, especially the last two near the fire wall. Not sure whats wrong , its a new turbo , so scrathing my head on this one??? Please any tips will be awesome.

Edited by J240ZTurbo

Blue smoke=oil. So the trick will be to find the source of the oil and fix it. If your compression shows good i would assume your rings and valves aren't leaking it in, at least under low boost anyway. Check your intake to see if theres any oil residue in it to eliminate oil coming from the turbo (assuming its oil cooled)or the pcv valve.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys please help, I put a new pvc valve and Iam still getting blue smoke out of the pipe. So again Iam scratching my head on this one. I got the engine from a trusted member here, according to him he rebuilt it had only a few miles before and I got from him, I had the entire P90 head rebuilt by a shop here in town, and its got a brand new Turbonetics turbo. I removed all the plugs and some have more oil than other. The car runs awesome, but not correct with all this blue smoke so, before I decide to take all this apart again is there a way I can troubleshoot whats causing my car to smoke, like the engine block, piston rings, head seals, valve guides since all is rebuilt.

Edited by J240ZTurbo

A few possible causes:

1) New engine, needs to break-in.

2) Stuck rings due to sitting so long. Run for a while (several hundred miles) to see if it will improve.

3) If the exhaust was used with an old, worn engine the exhaust could be filled with oil that needs time to burn out.

All these should take care of themselves with time. Go drive the car. Check the oil a lot.

Edited by beermanpete

How about this:

DRIVE THE CAR!

Now, in 3,000 miles, tell us how much oil you had to add. Or was the oil still on the dipstick after 3K miles?

Chances are the turbo can be at fault for the smoke. White smoke can simply be condensation in the exhaust as well...

Everybody today seems to freak out with a little smoke out the tailpipe. No catalyst cars tend to do that, it's not a 2012 Honda guys!

Just because an engine 'burns oil' or for that matter 'consumes it' at a given rate DOES NOT mean there is anything wrong requiring a teardown!

The biggest tip I can give you is: Quit looking for a problem and get some MILES on it before jumping to conclusions or tearing into anything.

For all anybody knows, this could just be condensation in the exhaust. EVERY post where someone says they see white smoke out the tailpipe, it seems the first post after in response is 'blue smoke=oil, white smoke=water' and then it's tear down the engine time to diagnose something wrong.

This is not the case. I started my 260 the other day when it was cold out, and the condensation smoke out the tailpipe was like you thought the head gasket let go... But it clears up and the next day: Same thing once again. There's nothing wrong with the car, it just has an exhaust system that doesn't leak and the can condenses a lot of water everytime it shuts off.

Same could be the case here. Far to early to jump to a conclusion. Even if there is oil in the combustion chamber, without a PCV drawing a vacuum on the crankcase, this will be the case. It WILL consume more oil will a simple road-dump tube than with an active PCV in operation.

Far to early for diagnosis involving tearing anything apart!