HybridZ

Wiper motor question 1972 Z

mattausten23

Hi everyone! Well the wiper motor on my 72 240z is frozen but I want to upgrade to the Honda one. Now the AtlanticZ step by step guide had a 1994 accord motor installed so I was wondering if this is the right one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIPER-MOTOR-Honda-Accord-CL-1994-94-1995-95-96-97-98-99-/310338098704?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1994|Make%3AHonda|Model%3AAccord&hash=item4841979610#ht_1619wt_1167. I've been reading the wiper motor thread on here and all the links are dead and it wouldn't allow me to post on it. Also what other items might I need to do this? I noticed that people were using a new switch but not sure if it was just for test purposes? Please let me know! It's my daily driver.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone I got it all wired up now! I still have one problem though and the motor doesn't spin consistently, it'll go fine then slow down the speed up again etc. especially in the high speed mode. I replaced all my fuses with 30 amp fuses because it was popping the fuse before. Now it doesn't pop fuses but the motor doesn't spin consistently. Any ideas on what it might be? Thanks

Matt

Hey everyone I got it all wired up now! I still have one problem though and the motor doesn't spin consistently, it'll go fine then slow down the speed up again etc. especially in the high speed mode. I replaced all my fuses with 30 amp fuses because it was popping the fuse before. Now it doesn't pop fuses but the motor doesn't spin consistently. Any ideas on what it might be? Thanks

Matt

Substituting 30 amp fuses is inviting meltdown of your wiring or a fire. Don't do that.

Find the cause of the problem or find a stock used wiper motor that works. Try the Z Barn etc.

Do more research on wiper motor upgrades. You might find a replacement that is prewired so it is plug and play. Go to ClassicZ and search.

Well the only fuse that was popping was the one for the wiper motor and thats the one i upgraded since it is a newer motor. In classicz there is an article on how to make it park but im not to worried about that. I think i might need to upgrade my alternator for the swap since its making my amps jump up and down, or i have something wrong with the wireing.

Upgrading the alternator is not the answer. The wiper motor, and/or the wiring to it, is defective and drawing more amps then it should. Perhaps the wiper wiring is installed wrong. The fix is to find out what is drawing the high amps and fix or replace the part/wiring that is defective. Could be the motor is defective. Does the motor run smooth? Do the wipers run smooth without resistance to motion etc? Are there any shorted wires?

Edited by Miles

Upgrading the alternator is not the answer. The wiper motor, and/or the wiring to it, is defective and drawing more amps then it should. Perhaps the wiper wiring is installed wrong. The fix is to find out what is drawing the high amps and fix or replace the part/wiring that is defective. Could be the motor is defective. Does the motor run smooth? Do the wipers run smooth without resistance to motion etc? Are there any shorted wires?

I havent hooked up the wipers yet because i wanted to make sure the motor was running correctly. Im not to sure about the motor its self, i got it out of a 97 accord at a junk yard and i dont think theres any shorted wires, everythink works but my blinkers.

Hi everyone! Well the wiper motor on my 72 240z is frozen but I want to upgrade to the Honda one. Now the AtlanticZ step by step guide had a 1994 accord motor installed so I was wondering if this is the right one http://cgi.ebay.com/...ht_1619wt_1167. I've been reading the wiper motor thread on here and all the links are dead and it wouldn't allow me to post on it. Also what other items might I need to do this? I noticed that people were using a new switch but not sure if it was just for test purposes? Please let me know! It's my daily driver.

Matt

Is the motor frozen or is the wiper mechanism frozen? If the wiper is mechanically frozen that would explain the high amp draw. Check out the wiper drive mechanism and wiper connections to make sure they operate smoothly without binding.

The stock motor was frozen/done which was why I just decided to upgrade to the honda motor. I was able to figure out the wireing today and i got it running perfect in low speed, high speed still runs great but it still jerks a little but my amperage isn't jumping anymore. I think I just have to play with it a little more. The wireing diagrams i got off line were completely wrong.haha I really appreciate your help Miles!Thanks!