HybridZ

jtr headers

Ok, I bought the jtr motor mount adapters, and setbacks, I made the transmission mount (so simple). What I am wondering is what headers fit? Do I need to buy the body spacers? I don't see them helping, as my block huggers won't even come close to bolting on, as the steering shaft is RIGHT there.... I searched, and I searched, so don't say I didn't do that... the 90* .66 gear reduction blah blah blah that jtr sells is out, and I don't find anything similar anywhere? is that the missing link?

I have a 96 small block chevy 350, converted to carb, I have a smaller, gear reduction starter, and 4l60e trans, and the stuff that doesn't matter, edelbrock performer intake, holley 600 4160 carb, hei (new billet) dizz, long water pump, and a 1 wire alt

the only thing I can see to do to aleviate the issue is to run the headers upside down? But I am pretty sure doing so would require a hole in the hood, which I would rather not! I also have a set of camaro (82-92) headers I will try tommorrow, they may work well reversed? I have a headache, so work was little today :( which is why I hadn't tried the camaro headers already!

anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated

Ok, I bought the jtr motor mount adapters, and setbacks, I made the transmission mount (so simple). What I am wondering is what headers fit? Do I need to buy the body spacers? I don't see them helping, as my block huggers won't even come close to bolting on, as the steering shaft is RIGHT there.... I searched, and I searched, so don't say I didn't do that... the 90* .66 gear reduction blah blah blah that jtr sells is out, and I don't find anything similar anywhere? is that the missing link?

I have a 96 small block chevy 350, converted to carb, I have a smaller, gear reduction starter, and 4l60e trans, and the stuff that doesn't matter, edelbrock performer intake, holley 600 4160 carb, hei (new billet) dizz, long water pump, and a 1 wire alt

the only thing I can see to do to aleviate the issue is to run the headers upside down? But I am pretty sure doing so would require a hole in the hood, which I would rather not! I also have a set of camaro (82-92) headers I will try tommorrow, they may work well reversed? I have a headache, so work was little today :( which is why I hadn't tried the camaro headers already!

anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated

Look here, that's what I'm planning to do. Also look here, they have them for straight plud, angle plug, square port, D port, and choice of primary size. Several posters say these fit. Could be modifications as always

chris

Edited by NCchris

is the 2+2 manual rack somehow different? The headers you linked to look like they run the same way as a set of huggers? does the steering shaft have to be relocated?

Yes the steering shaft is very close. If you do a search, you will see some peeps have "cleared" by denting the header pipes where the steering shaft is and some cleared fine without any surgery. I guess it depends on individual engine placement.

chris

I'm going to have to get the 4" sandersons, and worse comes to worse flip them upside down.. they should clear the hood, unlike the standard block huggers. I would have to make a hole straight through the center of my huggers to work, I could do a dimple on my other headers, but it would be a deep dimple.... I don't think the 3/8 body spacers would help, I think it would make the huggers bolt on, but the shaft would be in the direct center of the outlet... I actually think the sandersons will allow it to work with little to no issues!

I do not believe you need to do that. They fit and they fit fine. I doubt your car is much different from the how many that rolled out the plant before and after yours. I installed my headers before i dropped in my engine. Also, I notched the motor mount holes like said in the jtr manual. If the headers hit, then try to slide the engine back a hair more. Also check to see if the engine needs to slide to the other direction a bit as well. It can be done and has been done. I will not be home to take pics of my car until Thursday, but I will then and upload them. In the meantime I will look around my computers for some random pics I may have to clarify what I mean.