HybridZ

Mystery Locking Diff, is it a subie diff?

BluDestiny

Ok so my machine shop had this diff laying around, said it belonged to a person who used to race 240z's. That is all the background I have on it.

IT is a 27 spline count with what looks like a key spline, or one large spline. Also I took apart a spare r180 I had and test fit the ring gear and it is almost a perfect match, also the bolt holes match up to the ring gear. Everything about this but the splines scream it is for an r180. Hopefully I will be able to fit it in my 4.11 r180.

Some pics, hopefully you can see the big spline

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

Edited by BluDestiny

Looks like it was for another application and someone re-drilled it to fit the R180 ring gear. Its not a clutch pack LSD so it might be a Detroit Locker. The Torsen's I've seen have openings in the case to allow fluid inside so I don't think its one of those.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this from the dead. Brought this diff with me to FL along with my spare 4.11 R180. Was hopin got get it installed and find some info about it.

Well I got the info part. I was told that it is a Spraag type differential, like they uses in trackers, and that is in good shape and is a decent type of differential. Only problem is that it would require some machine work and spacers to get it to fit properly into my r180 carrier.

So I ended up biting the bullet and I've bought a subie 3.9 off nasioc which should be in next week. Only reason being is that the shop could get it installed, but it is past the price of a just getting the subie diff. Maybe later down the road I would consider trying to get this installed.

If anyone has any information on spraag/spragg diffs, please chime in.