HybridZ

327 with a T5

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm installing a 327 with a T5 on a 71z but I have a bell housing from a late 70's car. I know the JTR manual suggest to use an 83 or so bell housing. The difference is the old one does not tilt the engine. Any thoughts on the subject. Would I be way off on the location of the shifter? I would really like to use the one I have because I already have the master and slave and they worked well on a previous (rx7) convertion.

Thank's icon_biggrin.gif

icon_smile.gif I have a 327 with a T-5 in my car (which is - or was - also a '71 Z) but I used a 1984 and up Corvette bellhousing. It works great and I think it's a cleaner installation compared to the Camaro. Speaking of Camaro, if you use an T-5 from one that was tilted over you will have to make the trans mount a little different to accomidate the 14 degree tilt removal. Also, I had to heat up and bend the shifter straight.

The good news is the shifter comes right up through the center of the stock shifter hole and looks like a factory installation. icon_wink.gif

You can check out how it looks inside the car by looking at the picture in the Featured Cars section on this site.

I am thinking of using a conventional bellhousing with a T5 in my 'vette. JTR recommends the 83 and up Camaro bellhousing so you can use the hydraulic cluth setup. As stated above, you have to make some sort of wedge shim for the transmount since it becomes rotated once the tranny is straight up and down. You could use an '84-'87 Corvette bellhousing. I have heard that the camaro bellhousing has more clearance with the throwout arm and the trans tunnel, however SpeedRacers experience suggests otherwise. The 'vette bellhousing is more expensive than the camaro and you have to drill the trans ears out for a standard bolt instead of the metrics that attach the T5 to its rotated bellhousing.

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Mike C ]

BTW, I use a 7/8" Tilton master cylinder with the stock Corvette slave cylinder. It needed just a touch more throw so I also removed the the clutch pedal stop located on the floor under the pedal. This provided a bit more travel and makes engaging the clutch real smooth.

A braided stainless steel lines runs between the master and slave cylinder. I'm not sure what Mike C means by drilling out the trans ears because I don't remeber drilling out anything - but then, I could just be having another senior moment!

The Vette bellhousiing/slave cyl/fork was made for the very tight quarters of the Corvette tunnel and is absolutely no problem in the Z. I even slotted my motor mounts and set the engine a little farther back (about 1/2") than some.

BTW, I use a 7/8" Tilton master cylinder with the stock Corvette slave cylinder. It needed just a touch more throw so I also removed the the clutch pedal stop located on the floor under the pedal. This provided a bit more travel and makes engaging the clutch real smooth.

A braided stainless steel lines runs between the master and slave cylinder. I'm not sure what Mike C means by drilling out the trans ears because I don't remeber drilling out anything - but then, I could just be having another senior moment!

The Vette bellhousiing/slave cyl/fork was made for the very tight quarters of the Corvette tunnel and is absolutely no problem in the Z. I even slotted my motor mounts and set the engine a little farther back (about 1/2") than some.