HybridZ

77 280z wont start and other questions

Hello, I have a 77 280z that was converted to a 5spd from an auto. When I first purchased the car it started quickly and ran smoothly. However, the starter would only kick over half the time. You would turn the ignition and nothing would happen do it again and it would crank and start. After working on the car for a few weeks I decided to drive the car around the block, it ran fine till it stalled and would not start up again. The ignition was still acting up the same only cranking half the time. However, now it would not start.

After towing back I checked for spark by putting starter fluid in the intake, it coughs untill it runs out of starter fluid. So it is a fuel issue. I can also hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the ignition and the starter does not turn. But I can't hear it when it cranks. I checked the gas and it looks good no rust and is still smells like gas I also put in a gallon of freash gas.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

also my car seems to be missing a few relays and has quite a few wiring changes it seems, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is going on a bit. If there are any "fixes" or upgrades that a previous owner might have done. Of if this just some hack job.

PICs

P1010276-1.jpg

P1010277-1.jpg

P1010278.jpg

P1010287-1.jpg

P1010300.jpg

Also can anyone tell me anything about which transmition I have?

P1010291-1.jpg

P1010282-1.jpg

Thank you for all your help

Your wiring looks fairly normal. Looks like someone removed your AC and heater system (just called AC in the FSM), the solenoids and vacuum bottle are gone. Unless you took them out to work on the wiring.

Most of your pictures are too close to tell anything. What matters with wires is what they're connected to, not what they look like. The numbers on the trans don't mean much, there's a ton of information around the various forums about identifying transmissions. Just search "280Z transmission" on Google.

Fuel problems are also common and there are some very basic things to do to figure out what's happening. Confirm fuel pressure and injectors firing are probably the two most important, since you've determined that it will run on starting fluid.

Also, the 77 doesn't have a "priming" system for the fuel lines. The pump should only run when the engine is running or key at Start. Someone may have hot-wired your fuel pump or buggered up your AFM contact switch. Or you're hearing the antenna motor. Downloading the FSM and reading the Engine Fuel section will tell you a lot.

Actually, you could just search "280Z won't start" or similar on Google and probably find over 50 threads describing exactly your issue. They all "ran when parked" and they all "start but won't stay running" when people come back to them. Pretty fascinating.