HybridZ

Starting fresh. 260z or 240sx

Jimmybee

I want to get a car and swap a skyline engine into it. Just getting into the race and swap scene but have always been a fan.

My friend is willing to get the car for me as my starting out point but wants to see me put it to good use. He is also a major fan of skylines.

So I told him whatever I get I want to do an rb swap into, but I'm purplexed between the complications and complexities to switch into either a Nissan 240sx (probably going to be an s13) or a datsun 260z/280z.

I specifically joined this forum to ask this question alone. Which body would be an easier, cheaper, less complicated swap?

I know it's going to be tough any which way I go, and it will be expensive, but hey if I can be less poor one way, I'll go with that one. Lol.

I'm in San Antonio Texas and got some friends with some hook ups. The scene close to me isn't that well into datsuns, or nissans in fact. Mostly hondas with fart cans running about just pissing us off. And I'm reedy to show them a real IMPORT with real HP. haha.

Before we start with this, im looking mostly for quick starts, so a "stop light car" haha. And then a nice show when I've stopped and they wonder what the hell just happened to them.

And I'm no professional. I know my fair share about cars, and it was mostly muscle, but I must accept the import scene here. Any info would help, anyone in SA even better. And please dont beat my ass down saying use the search haha. I believe in the almighty search too, but with aid from my own post.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!!!

Xnke's Automotive Swap Questionnaire

1. Do you possess the skills required to do what you want to do? If the answer is no, go to question two. if the answer is yes, then go to question three.

2. Do you possess the money to buy the skills/tools required to do what you want to do? If the answer is STILL no, see A or B. If yes, break out the checkbook.

(2-A ) Don't do it.

(2-B ) Obtain the skills/tools required to do what you want to do.

3. Do you possess the tools required to execute the skills required to do what you want to do? If no, go to question two. If yes, go to question four.

4. Do you possess the monetary resources to see a project like this to it's completion? If no, go answer 2-A. If yes, go do the math again, and go to question 4. Then go to question 5.

5. Have you located both the recipient vehicle, and the donor driveline? If yes, go to question six. If no, go back to question five.

6. Are you sleeping? If no, then you're doing it right. If yes, then wake up and get back in the shop. Go to question 7.

7. Does fit yet? If no, go to question 6. If yes, advance to question 8.

8. Does it run yet? If no, go to question 6. If yes, advance to question 9.

9. Can you drive it yet? If no, go to question 6. If yes, Congratulations. You Have Reached The Bank of Larn.

Edited by Xnke

I don't know wether to laugh or say a simpler answer is what I was aiming at. I have most skills and can easily attain or learn others, monetarily is such an open ended result. I'm not making $20,000 a month to just drop, but I am willing to take it over time, ya know, I don't plan on this being s weekend of wrenching. Something like "I had a real hard time getting an rb into mine" was something I was looking at

Jimmy:

Here's some stuff to think about. The first thing I would suggest is doing your research on the cars' original engines. The 240sx and 260z/280z had different engine setups (of course). I personally would choose a 260z (what I own) because of several reasons:

1) It's lighter than the 280z (by 500lbs) and 240sx (by ~400lbs). This means more bang for your buck when it comes to engine mods.

2) The 240sx was used an inline 4 cylinder engine. The 260z and 280z used an inline six. Since an RB engine is an inline six, you're alright starting ahead of the game with engine fitting in a early Z car.

3) The Z cars are classics. This could be a downside if you want something which looks a little more modern, but I'll take what's in the picture below any day over a 240sx. ;)

d7178240-280zcfhbucket.jpg

Good luck on you're swap and plans!

Jimmy:

Here's some stuff to think about. The first thing I would suggest is doing your research on the cars' original engines. The 240sx and 260z/280z had different engine setups (of course). I personally would choose a 260z (what I own) because of several reasons:

1) It's lighter than the 280z (by 500lbs) and 240sx (by ~400lbs). This means more bang for your buck when it comes to engine mods.

2) The 240sx was used an inline 4 cylinder engine. The 260z and 280z used an inline six. Since an RB engine is an inline six, you're alright starting ahead of the game with engine fitting in a early Z car.

3) The Z cars are classics. This could be a downside if you want something which looks a little more modern, but I'll take what's in the picture below any day over a 240sx. ;)

Good luck on you're swap and plans!

Re #2 - althought the S13-15 came with the KA and SR four bangers the RB is a COMMON swap in the 240SX. There is a lot of info and it's fairly "straight forward" to swap in....

and re #3 - I've seen 240SX that they have tried to make look like a classic Z but never a classic Z trying to look like a 240SX.....

Edited by FricFrac

IMO, it has to do with desired end results.

1)Are you wanting to race this car, show the car, or just have something fast on the street?

2)If racing is your goal, what type of racing, drag, drift, autocross, etc. The S30 and S13/14/15 were better meant for some things than others ie: If your objective is to drift, get the S13/14.

3)If you're showing the car then its about showing it and should be a self preference. (my $0.02 : originality is always best, and I'm sure the s13/14 - S30 ratio is like 8:1

4)If you just want something fast, and don't have any other objective, then you're looking at cost and comfort. Both swaps, (depending on the S30 chassis condition) are relatively close in $ amount, but there is more to be swapped into an S30 chassis to better handle the hp/tq you may be running (ie: bigger brakes, suspension, LSD although not entirely a necessity). So if going the S30 route, you may be looking at dishing out more.

Also forgot to mention that you would need to set up the 260z to run fuel injection, like using a 280z fuel tank or fuel cell, fuel pump, etc, whereas the s13/14 is already set up for that.

Ultimately do your research, and do it thoroughly, and write it down, its easier when you see EVERYTHING on paper (or screen if you're typing) in terms of what kind of work you have to do for the swap. There are many sites that have comprehensive build threads and swap info on the 240sx as well, just can't think of them off hte top of my head other than some local ones.

Edited by Daphur280

I love classics personally. Almost had my hands on a '71 camaro with a 350 4 bolt main. Someone got before I had the chance.

But I think if I were to show up to a meet, peope might recognize the 240sx more than the 260z. Although a lot new surprise would come out of the 260.

It's heaps easier to put an RB into a S13 than a Z of any sort.

The S13 chassis is pretty much/exactly the same as a C33 Laurel, these had RB's standard - comments about the handling being wrecked etc is rubbish.

Get a crossmember out of pretty much anything early to mid 90s that had an RB standard and bolt it in, R32, C33, A31 etc, then bolt your RB in, gearbox mount may need to be slightly modified, I believe all you have to do is make an adaptor plate for the rubber mount. No need to buy another sump & pickup, engine mounts etc.

Parts are much more plentiful for S13s etc than Z's, you have 20 years of advancement in chassis design & strength, suspension, brakes etc etc

The Z will look better of course.

Edited by djz

You don't want them to recognize the car! Where's the fun in everybody driving the same thing!

Don't think about which will be slightly cheaper, just go with the car you like the most. Otherwise no matter how much money you save, after all that hard work you'll just be disappointed with yourself because it's not exactly what you wanted. Why skimp on your dreams when you're so committed to them?

However, consider the fact that the SX will have to be smogged. UGH!

On the other hand, if you indeed want a stop light car, why do an RB at all? Weight is your biggest enemy. Not just the weight of the car, but the rotational mass in the engine. Get an SR and tight gears, up the boost, and be like a bolt of lightning off the line. You're not looking to win a top speed challenge here. For that matter you could get a 510 which the SR would easily fit into and save yet another 200 lbs and laugh all the way to the finish line at those other guys towing a 600lb smog stamp. Of course you'd win by a less insane amount with the RB 260Z but you'd be doing it in style. So then, which gives you more joy, buying car wax or buying tires?

Go ask a guy on here named Big Phil. He put an RB30DET into a 240sx and is now going to put it in his 280z. The 240sx just does not have the wow factor like the 240/260/280z does.

I dont drive mine very often but everytime, not just sometimes, Ill get one or more of the following, Ill get a thumbs up, people rubber necking and turning around to get a look at the car, people asking me questions or just saying how cool Zs are or that they owned one at parking lots and stop lights, people hauling ass to get up along side it for a look. From all kinds of people, Z guys, import guys, old people, young people, domestic guys, people that know nothing about cars, etc. The 240sx just isnt like that. And personally I enjoy it and I like having a car that you just dont see everyday. It adds to the experiences. Thats my opinion.

Thats pretty much what stopped me from getting a Subaru Impreza STI. As well as the fact that the RB engine just screams and is such a great sounding engine. s30+RB=Match made in heaven.

Edited by jakeoster

And u guys are right. 260 is probably gonna be it.

Especially with the color scheme in my mind. Dark navy with two (maybe 8") silver stripes down the middle with some grey or light gunmetal rims. And peanut butter interior (got a guy who's great with interiors)

The Z was my first choice. I originally had the stock l26 with a 3 speed automatic mated onto it. I changed it to an rb with the 5 speed gearbox, best decision I've made. One thing you'll need to get used to is the stiffness of that cars ride. Even after I put in new bushing, struts, and springs the car ride is pretty darn stiff. I second jackeoster on the ride experience.

Frac: Really? I thought the 240sx compartments were more constricted than the Z car compartments. And yet the swap is easier? 0.o Never too late to learn!

To both Frac and Jake (heck, to everyone):

That's what I was getting at. I have NOTHING against a 240sx, but unless you don't like older style cars, I only see using a 240/260/280 as a plus! :) But as Daphur said, it's about personal preference. Although I'm not totally with ya on the color scheme, if it's what you like, go for it! You're doing it for you, no one else (especially when they're left in your rubber marks).

And yes, I +1 the 260z idea. But since I own one............I'm partial. :P