HybridZ

Fuel economy 260 SUs

BlueStag

Hey guys,

I have had my Triumph Stag with a Datsun L6 down for a month or so, after 9 years on stands (don't ever buy a house) and I am glad!

But I wonder if my fuel economy is poor? I've got a 2.6 with a pair of reasonably sound SUs, with a Maxima automatic and (I think) a 3.7:1

The Stag weighs about what a 280 does and has 14" wheels, all much like a 70's Z.

Does anyone think I am wasting gas? The exhaust does smell rather gassy.

What mileage... A 3.7 with a Four Speed O.D. transmission is probably pushing the limits on lugging the engine, should be closer to 4.11 or 4.38.

I have to work (meaning average over 100mph) to break below 20mpg in steady-state driving.

I recently changed from the late gearbox to the early gearbox (.74 to .85 OD) and the mileage didn't change, and frankly looks more consistent. My highway cruise into work is around 80mph, with a 3.70 gearbox, and I average 24mpg consistently.

I have gotten as high as 27mpg when I had the late gearbox, and kept the speed absolutely capped at no more than 65mph.

That should be some guideline, giving I'm like 360#, so in an early 260Z that should be weight-equivalent to you! :P

What mileage... A 3.7 with a Four Speed O.D. transmission is probably pushing the limits on lugging the engine, should be closer to 4.11 or 4.38.

I have to work (meaning average over 100mph) to break below 20mpg in steady-state driving.

I recently changed from the late gearbox to the early gearbox (.74 to .85 OD) and the mileage didn't change, and frankly looks more consistent. My highway cruise into work is around 80mph, with a 3.70 gearbox, and I average 24mpg consistently.

I have gotten as high as 27mpg when I had the late gearbox, and kept the speed absolutely capped at no more than 65mph.

That should be some guideline, giving I'm like 360#, so in an early 260Z that should be weight-equivalent to you! :P

Sorry, I'm getting about 15mpg. But I am running an automatic.

And I am not getting much by way of acceleration.

I am going to swap in an L28 turbo with 300zx electronics as soon as I can scratch together the scratch.

I've seen an L24 with a 4.11 and Automatic get 28mpg with Triple Mikuni 40 PHH's...

If you are in-town that mileage will drop to 15-17.

On the highway it should be higher than that if the carbs are adjusted correctly.

I cruise between 3200 and 3500 on the freeway to get that kind of mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen an L24 with a 4.11 and Automatic get 28mpg with Triple Mikuni 40 PHH's...

If you are in-town that mileage will drop to 15-17.

On the highway it should be higher than that if the carbs are adjusted correctly.

I cruise between 3200 and 3500 on the freeway to get that kind of mileage.

Yes, the carbs being correctly adjusted being rather the nub.

I think my front carb sucks air past the shaft, and refuses to run properly at anything but full open needle/seat.

I had the damned things rebuilt well long ago, but apparently not well enough.