HybridZ

Help M8x1.25 to M10x1.25 Adapter?

I have a nice M10x1.25 threaded shift knob and noticed that the shifter in my car is M8x1.25. Is there anyway to adapter the M10x1.25 to the M8x1.25? Does anyone may a threaded adapter or insert? I guess I could put a little JB Weld in there and be done with it.

At this point, it looks like I'm going to just cut the M8 thread off the shifter and TIG weld the M10 thread on to it. I did find some press fit M8 inserts but I'm leaning towards the welding approach unless someone tells me otherwise.

It would be a helluva lot easier to just modify the knob itself, especially if you ever wanted to go back down the line.

You could do a potted helicoil for a little more strength. put some epoxy in the hole, smear some grease on the threads of the helicoil install tool, thread it into the insert and shove into the hole. Once it cures you just unscrew the tool and you're good to go.

Funny you posted this. Just yesterday I made exactly what you're talking about for my shifter. Bought a 5-speed knob from Jegs that came in M16 with an adaptor to M12. As you so keenly pointed out though, our shifter levers are threaded in M8. My first though was the helicoil, but I would have to stack 2, a M8 to M10 then an M10 to M12, to get that to work with my combination. If I could have found a single helicoil I would have done that, and I think that's your best option. In my case, I just bought the M8 tap and an M12 bolt, drilled it, tapped it and cut the head off to make my own adaptor. You may consider that as an option. The tap only cost me $4 and a pack of helicoils was $5. How often do you expect to need the helicoils?