HybridZ

awful noise from tranny area?

wolfman_dlc

OK. Last night I hit an (already dead) large dog on the freeway in my 280zx. I didnt have an option not to hit it so I aime for dead center. Unfortunately my car was too low and I high centered feeling like I hit a speed bump at 60mph. Immediately after I hear a loud whine from transmission area. I put it in nuetral, pulled over, shut off engine. I didnt see any fluid or obvious problems and had no cell phone on me so I started her up. When I started her the sound was gone, gave her a few revvs just to check and had no problems. Forgot to mention This is a three speed Automatic with 240,000 miles. I decided to drive her home and as soon as the wheels start to spin the noise begins and grows very much worse when letting off the gas. It is mostly consistant with road speed as I put it in neutral at 40mph and had no change when revving up the engine. It sometimes sounds like a rod hitting the oil pan, sometimes like a warped rotor rubbing a brake pad. From where the sound is coming from my best guess is either torque converter or transmission. Can anyone shed some lite for me. This is my daily driver of 100miles per day.

Daniel

Jacked it up today and could find no damage. No dents in the oil or tranny pan. I even removed the fly wheel inspection cover and found nothing wrong. Suspension and wheels all looked and felt fine. Car drives absolutely normal other than it sounding like its gonna blow.

Daniel-