HybridZ

Hatch and Glass seal Refurb

duragg

Time for a hatch refresh.

Ordered new hatch-to-glass seal and hatch-to-body seal (Ni$$an).

Q: For reinstall do we use any goop in the seal between glass and body? or just let the rubber do its work?

I think the FSM says use a "sealing agent" so maybe a thin strip of sillycone is in order and probably smooth install too.

Removed, stripped, cleaned marginally well, fix a little rust, shoot it flat-black, reinstall glass, reinstall in car.

Is the basic plan...

post-1894-091019000 1322067037_thumb.jpg

Hi,I would not recommend you use any silicone on the gasket.They were installed from the factory with the gasket on body raw. If you want extra security besides the gasket,you want to use what is called liquid buytl, It comes in a bottle that uses a special pump nozzle. The stuff works very well,but is expensive and very messy if you do not know how to use it. I am a licensed NGA certified autoglass tech for the record.

Done. Its a bunch of work. I needed to do it alone for sanity.

Trim painted and was pretty easy to work into position with the seal on the glass.

post-1894-052974500 1322275245_thumb.jpg

Trim has some outward spring to it so a string around the seal kept it where I wanted it prior to install.

post-1894-059941900 1322275250_thumb.jpg

Juiced everything up and got my string loaded in the groove. I actually used 2 strings in opposite directions and left the ends in various places.

Glass supported on a table and set the hatch on top of it. then its like... ok now what? Find a corner and start.

Just keep working around and moving to different places to the the glass in nice and square. I dont think I was perfectly square and the last edge / corner were rougher.

I was told not to use sharp objects but I couldn't resist. Once the bleeding stopped from putting a bent sharpened awl through my finger I went back to plastic which works best. In fact I took apart a set of Safety Goggles becuase the arms had a nice hook shape. one for going left and one for going right. Worked pretty good.

Once done I flipped it over and (horror) the seal wasn't sitting like I hoped. Some rubber mallet time and LOTS more soapy water helped a little.

But one corner doesn't sit too well. Fixable?

post-1894-097766800 1322275259_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow finish fabricating the cover and reinstall all the parts and stick it back on the car.

post-1894-065167800 1322275264_thumb.jpg

post-1894-075467400 1322275255_thumb.jpg

Major improvement in my exhaust consumption.

The new glass to hatch weatherstrip doesn't have cracks letting eshaust in.

More importantly that cover just below the glass was missing so I was open to the world.

Made a new cover and sealed with more weatherstrip.

I have a new hatch to body seal coming next week which will make it even better since mine has some cracks.

Almost drivable now.

• 3 weeks later...