HybridZ

Solex 44 Identification

zero

Hello all,

I recently picked up an incomplete set of Solex 44's from a member here who didn't want to deal with them. I was trying to find out more information about them to decide whether it would be possible to put together a complete set and rebuild them, but I find myself struggling to properly identify them. They seem to be a bit different than the standard offerings. A couple pics are attached below.

carb2.JPG

carb1.JPG

Their profile doesn't seem to match any of the options on this site.

Just browsing around pictures of 44 Solex's I came across these that did look to be the same carbs. The article calls them "Nismo Solex 44 HH carburetors"

IMG_1033.jpg

Armed with this info, the only other site I could find mentioning 44mm "Nismo" carbs was the japanese one below.

http://www.power-planning.com/hpgen/HPB/categories/60158.html

Does anyone here have any more helpful info on these and where I could get a third one, rebuild kits, or what parts they may share with more commonly available Solexs? Thanks

What number is stamped on the throttle ares? 175 or 175? Because they sure do look like 1972/73 Toyota Carbs from an 18RG-R. And those are 40PHH, just oooold.

The stamp on the plate will tell you that. Usually 44's don't have that hole I'm the body drilled and tapped, but the Toy Carbs it's a dead giveaway.

I couldn't enlarge the photos on my iPhone, so that's my closest guess. It wouldn't be the first time someone sold a set of them misidentifying them as 44's on a manifold or engine. From the inlet end and externally, they are identical to 44's, unlike non-OEM Mikuni Solexes.

If they're 175's then they're aftermarket Mikuini Solexes, and not Toyota OEM offerings.

The real early Toy Carbs had a 44mm lead in, and used 44mm ventures and boosters with a removable sleeve that necked the air cleaner end down to 40mm. That was held in by the front setscrew under the carb body (nearest air cleaner end) many guys would run them without the sleeves.

Wolf Creek Racing should have information on the parts. If they're old enough they may be a different style of Jet Block than isost common, but everything is still available for both models.

Looks like the bodies could use a Vanish Toilet Bowl Cleaner dunk, and maybe a glass beading...