HybridZ

How much would you pay? 350/Turbo 400 72 240z

I've been looking for a ls1 pre 1975 datsun (pre 75 due to California smog exempt) but I didn't have more than $10,000 to play with, so no luck with that.

I posted a WTB ad on craigslist and someone with a v8 350 / turbo 400 swap emailed me. The car sat for most of its life in a shop. The car has no rust at all. 30k miles on body. It was originally yellow but repainted light blue in 1973-1975. The paint still shines but has some chips that shows the old yellow paint underneath. The interior is still in great shape with roll bar and everything. The motor, transmission, and rear end has 5k miles since the swap. I'm sure it has aftermarket suspensions because its stiff and looks a bit lowered. He can't remember what he put in LOL

Here is the info the owner gave me. He is a great guy and owns a mechanic / body shop. I trust him.

"I have a 1972 240z with a chevy 350/turbo 400.  Professionally built and custom. It has a rollbar, engine chrome, custom seats, autometer guages, 370 gears, etc..  One of a kind.  I dont think u will find another like this one.  The engine has dome pistons, 202 Dart heads w/ I think 72cc combustion chamber, giving a probably 10 to 10.5 compression, roller rockers, solid lifters, hooker headers, HRE rims with Perelli, dual piston calipers, slotted rotors."

I saw the car in person and I noticed a leaky differential. I think a gasket change would fix that. Also the ignition was busted but he just ordered the parts. He jumped and started the car for me.

Honestly, I've never worked on older carb'd engines. I had a 98 z28 with ls1 which is the only V8 motor I've messed with. The owner predicts the car is a 12 sec car in a 1/4. It has some 255 series tires and it breaks loose when changing gears.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. How much would you pay?? I've never bought an old car with swaps so I don't want to offer a ridiculous amount. Thanks!

img1019kr.jpg

img1022b.jpg

img1020c.jpg

img1023gl.jpg

img1021x.jpg

Edited by Caiden

Hi: I live in the Bay Area and have seen several V8 Z's advertised for $4,000 +. Most were Gen 1 or 2 Chevy's like the one in your post. I'd say that the body looks pretty good in photos and if there is no rust you've found a gem ! I've got a Scarab Z with a similar engine and they are the easiest thing to work on you'll ever find. Parts are cheap and plentiful and tuning is a snap. So I'd say you could look at somewhere between $ 5,000 and $ 7,500 for the car. If it's all you say, you'll have a very nice ride. If you get it, let us know. Scarab # 155