HybridZ

What brakes suspension?

Hi all.

This is my first post as I've bought my first 240z.

I'm in the UK and i've a nice LHD car coming from CA.

To help keep costs down i'm looking at having some parts shipped in the car, I've already got a set of rota grid V's in 15x8.

I was looking at the Arizona Z car front brake kit, however is this the best to go for? What suspension do you guys use? I like the look of the Ksport kit as its a complete solution but the spring rates seem about double what they should be? Has anyone used/fitted these? I don't mind getting my welder out.

Basically I want' to do my brakes and suspension once and do it right so i'm open to all suggestions!

Cheers :D

I would just get Toyota 4x4 vented brakes for the front would be cheaper. Here on hybrid z we don't believe in the best. Good Idea to ship the parts in your car. To save money you could just piece a kit together on here or where ever . Arizona Z car stuff is very beautiful though. People like Beta motor sports, Arizona Z, Ground control (Techno Toy Tuning) have good coil-overs for our cars. There are a few others also. Is K sport that Ebay Stuff? Can't remember off hand. Also u should look into the Megan route its not bad from what I hear .

Edited by aplyedmind

The 4x4 brakes just look a little heavy if that makes sense? also I can get wilwood service bits over here when the time comes and a good choice of pads.

I just need to work out whether to go for coilovers or something like the TOKICO Advanced Handling pack?

Unless you have your own dedicated container, I'd seriously recommend having the parts physically ON (as in installed) the car when you ship it for both Revenue Bureau scrutiny, and reducing the chance of nice new parts "evaporating" during shipment.

If it's RORO, have the car complete when you drop it at the shipment point.

Cheaper isn't in anyway better. I've had the Toyota ft brakes and a couple months ago I decided to bite the bullet and get off my cheap butt and spend some money on a real set of brakes. I bought the AZC wilwoods and they are awesome. I was just going to go from the non vented ft Toyota calipers to the vented calipers and I said screw it. The stopping power is day and night from the Toyota stuff. I know,I know mabe with a different set of pads they would of been better but I got sick of dealing with the BS. It is the best 1700.00 I have spent on my 280z in 18 years. If you have the money do it you won't regret it.

What do you plan to use the car for? This is the answer to your "best set up" there is a FAQ about this... it's under FAQ's: brakes/wheels/suspension, and "what suspension modifications should I do to my Z" It has a handy little guideline of what is recommended by most people as far as what needs to be done. IMO the wilwood kit is overkill and more flash than is needed. People road-race Z's with stock brakes. I am going with the non vented toyota front brakes and some s13 rear disks. Not the most powerful by any means, but my car is just going to be a fun car for the street and it will maybe get some auto-X and track days, but not too many. If you just want a car for the street, you're acctually totaly fine with leaving everything stock. But you are on HBZ, and our M-O is to modify, fabricate, and upgrade. Sorta like that stupid show we have over here called chop cut rebuild, except instead of being a lame TV show, you get to do it yourself :rolleyes:. As far as coilovers go... Well when I got my Z (3 months ago), I was sold on getting some s13 coilovers and welding them on. Well... Good thing I researched. Turns out you're much better off with a GC(ground control) kit. I ordered mine through TTT (techno toy tuning) and 2 days later the best showing of machined aluminum and eibach race springs showed up at my door. I recently got some tokico illumina struts which are shorter than stock. Read more about all this in the FAQ's. Search around, get familiar with stuff around here. Google works great for figuring stuff out, there's a surprising amount of Z info on this site and others on the internet. I'm sure you'll love your Z!

Edited by luseboy