HybridZ

I need some beginner's help: V8

mditt8671

Hi all,

I bought a 240z that already had the 350 SBC V8 conversion completed in it. It needs the vortec heads installed, but that's another story; I don't care for the exhaust solution that is on it now. It's a dual pipe setup that exits directly in the center of the car. It's all rusted to hell and since it doesn't have a fuel cell I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the exhaust directly under the gas tank like that. Plus, they hang really low under the car and I'm sure I'll be dragging with the smallest bump (I live in a rural area so nice flat city streets aren't always what we have to deal with).

I've done a lot of searching and reading here but I'm not a person who has done a lot of work like this on ANY car so I'm not sure where to start. Plus the V8 exhaust stuff is all lumped in with the 6 cylinders, so it's not easy to separate the info for someone like me.

I'd like to see what my options are for some good SBC exhaust setups from the engine on back. I'm going to be making the engine compartment look decent as well since I intend to show it off at some small local shows when I'm done, so I'll be replacing the rusty old exhaust manifold as well and would like something that will keep looking good for a long time. Any proven layouts that work would be helpful... specs, photos, anything!

The stock cutout location for the exhaust has been filled in but I'm not against removing the filler and going back to stock location if that's a good option.

I've attached my current setup below.

Thanks!

post-14206-033546200 1323354109_thumb.jpg

post-14206-069764600 1323354116_thumb.jpg

Edited by mditt8671

• 1 month later...

What I did was from the headers I went with 2.5" to a y-pipe, then directly to a Glasspack muffler then 2.5 from there out to the stock location. right now the drone in anything but 5th gear is a tad loud. I will be putting on a Carbon fiber muffler with a 4" exit. It actually sounds really nice.