HybridZ

Help identify R200

RebekahsZ

I got this R200 with axles as a gift from a friend (Jacob1971). It is reportedly from a 1988 ZX Turbo. We were hoping it was an LSD, but alas it is not.

First, the diff:

The ring gear and spiders look in good shape, and the unit is tight. The ring gear does not show a ratio, but it has 39 teeth. The case has 6-13 in yellow paint on the case, and the ring gear has 8-92 on it handwritten in yellow paint or wax pencil. There is some really small print (numbers and letters) stamped on the ring gear if you want me to post that.

Is this the correct cover to allow bolt into a 240z with a 280z mustache bar?

What ratio is it likely to be?

Bottomline Question: Is this a good platform to send to John Coffey for him to but one of his CLSD units into (that is my plan)?

Second, the axles:

Are these a good model to use? (I know there are 6-bolt and 3-bolt vesions of the CV axle).

Is Modern Motorsports the only supplier for 280z stub axle compatible companion flanges (have read posts with trouble getting product from MM)?

Can anybody walk me thru the procedure of "flipping the carriers" and cutting off the ends of the shafts to shorten these? I haven't seen a description of the procedure that is fit for an idiot like me.

I need a new end cap for one axle (the one that cam with it is all domed out, kind of like it exploded out of its place, although there are no signs of someone prying it out). Anybody got one or a source?

When inspecting the axles, what am I looking for in terms of signs of wear?

Thanks,

Keith

post-5903-032413200 1324265460_thumb.jpg

post-5903-014505500 1324265473_thumb.jpg

post-5903-019625800 1324265490_thumb.jpg

post-5903-093188600 1324265503_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

The ring gears all show a ratio. It's in the middle of a big string of numbers, and it will say something like 39:10 (3.90) or 39:11 (3.54). That is the correct cover. John should be able to work with that diff.

The axles appear to be the Z31T shafts. They are the good ones IMO. Joe at Chequered Flag has the MM adapters, I've got some in the process of being machined, will have them just after the new year according to the machinist. Mine will be a little cheaper. You really should get my short CV shafts too, flipping the cages doesn't work. The stock Z31T CV's bottom on a 240. More info here: http://forums.hybrid...xle-discussion/ and http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103391-z31-axle-swap-r200-clsd-m2-differentials/

I'm pretty close on the group buy which will save you a little $. http://forums.hybrid...afts-group-buy/

The you can clean up the CV's and check the races for pits and the balls for chips. A little bit of pitting on the races is acceptable. If the balls are chipped, you'll probably want to replace the joint (which in this case means find a new set of used axles).

Edited by JMortensen

JMortensen-I'll be ordering axle shafts from you, may not wait for the group buy just to save $50-I'm in way over that! Do you have a link to your campanion flanges you recommended? Finally, anybody got any help for me on replacing the end-cap?

I'm not putting the flanges up for sale until I actually get them in hand.

If the cap that you're talking about is the silver cap at the wheel end of the CV, that cap is keeping the grease in the joint. I'd pound it a little flatter and reinstall it. If it is actually broken, I don't know where you'd find one except off of another CV shaft, which may be hard to come by.

• 3 weeks later...

Found ratio stamped on ring gear. It is 39:11, so it is a 3.54. As you suggested, I spent a little time with a body hammer on the CV axle end cap: got it straight enough to stay in, although it is not as tight as the other side. Boy, was it a chore getting the CV axles out of the diff (I'll be sore tomorrow). After failing with pry bars and a tug-of-war, wound up taking the cover off the diff and using a screwdrive to pry between the end of the axle and the cross shaft-that worked great.

The great news is that I bought a LSD R200 from screen name CobraMatt in Atlanta. A friend picked it up over the weekend and it is beautiful. I now have a R200 mustache bar from screen name JSM. I bought a set of 27-spline axle flanges from screen name redleg so that I have the option of running my Wolf Creek CV axles while waiting for the M2 shortened axles shafts and companion flanges to get finished up.

Making progress. Thanks to everybody for the help/advice.

Keith

post-5903-027587200 1326081284_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ