HybridZ

Z31 4-bolt CV axles-problem with end-cap

RebekahsZ

The axles I got had one end cap removed, but at least it was present. However, it is not flat like the other one. It looks sprung, kind of like a sock turned inside out? I tried to get another one from sources on the forum, but the only one I found is for some other axle. I am about to take a rubber mallet to this end cap to see if it can be straightened out. Any suggestions? Pictures show both installed cap and the one that was removed. The next two pics show how it is turned "inside-out." The final pic shows a normal cap.

post-5903-082719300 1325581005_thumb.jpg

post-5903-090815200 1325581053_thumb.jpg

post-5903-070065100 1325581094_thumb.jpg

post-5903-076339000 1325581130_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that doesn't look right. Have you tried tapping it in to the end of the CV housing? It's only supposed to have a slight interference fit. You could just run without it. Just put extra grease in the mating adapter cup and seal the flanges with silicon. Other guys did exactly that to get more clearance for the stock Z31 shafts.

Problem resolved. Unable to find a replacement, so I carefully took a body hammer to the bent end-cap. Restored cap to original shape - the metal was just stretched really bad. It fits a little loose, but I think it is going to work. Now waiting on some M2 shortened axle shafts. Thanks to everybody who helped me.

post-5903-068828100 1326070291_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...