HybridZ

Turbo Housing Gaskets

Ok Gang,

All of the parts for my turbo rebuild have been procured and even painted with POR 20.

I’m at the stage where everything is ready to be bolted back together but I have a dilemma.

I don’t remember there being a metal gasket between the "7 bolt" turbo housing and the "7 bolt†internal wastegate exhaust section.

I’ve looked all over the internet and all I see are “5 bolt†metal gaskets but not 7 bolt metal gaskets.

Were their no gaskets that went between these two sections or am I just not looking in the right places?

I’ve attached pictures so you all can see exactly which two parts I’m talking about including a picture of a 5 bolt gasket.

As Always, Thanks…………

post-24452-016076200 1325656378_thumb.jpg

post-24452-033449600 1325656390_thumb.jpg

post-24452-026684700 1325657559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neveragain55

Kaito,

It is an original T3 turbo that came with the car and I looked at the metal gasket on eBay from the link you sent me......

But there is a large area of material that would cover the actual internal wastegate if I used this gasket.

Would that be correct? Wouldn't the wastegate be blocked if I used this gasket, or I am completely off here?

If the one you sent is the one that should be used then I'll definitely get it. I just want to be sure.

Thanks for your help.......

I have 3 stock 280ZX turbos and none of them have a 7 bolt gasket. It seems like they are a machine flat fit and no gasket is needed. None of mine have leaked there.

You will need a gasket on the back of that Wategate flapper housing though. If you put it on upside down that will leak, Ask me how I know. lol

Thanks Dexter,

That actually makes sense because I can't seem to find a gasket anywhere (internet or otherwise) that would fit between the two housings perfectly, and like I said in my original post, I couldn't remember seeing one when I ripped it all apart.

When you say (You will need a gasket on the back of that wastegate flapper housing though) you’re talking about the four bolt pattern where the exhaust bolts on right?

Serves me right for not paying closer attention…… :(

Thanks for all the help gang...........

Edited by Neveragain55

If it's all still taken apart, plane both surfaces and just use high temp orange. I quit runinng gaskets on everything turbo back years ago. Plus most of those metal gaskets are crush gaskets that only really work the way they're supposed to once. Good luck!

Deaner, I was actually thinking the same thing because I’ve searched the internet, turbo parts suppliers, & eBay high & low and I’m not seeing a gasket (made from any material) that will fit that 7 bolt configuration which seriously leads me to believe there never was one.

And if there were gaskets used (back in 1982) there sure as heck aren’t any available now.

I’ve mated them in a test fit and the surfaces mate up perfectly with no gaps so I think the high temp orange sealant is a viable option.

The biggest take-away I’ve learned from all of this is how important it is to visibly look and check everything before it’s pulled apart. Something I already know, so shame on me.

Thanks everybody……….

Edited by Neveragain55

I hear you on hard to find little stuff. Those gaskets being one of them. Got tired of searching for random little wastegate gaskets or T3 gaskets everytime I took things apart. The past like 5 years high temp orange is all I've used. Unless it's a car that never gets driven or worked on(IE it get taken apart more often than not lol, tinkering) the stuff is perfect. Goop it on, tighten and clean off the excess. Done!

Deaner,

No worries on the double post (we’ve all done it)

I’m definitely going with the high temp sealant.

Permatex actually makes a whole range of high temp sealants that surpass the “Orange†high temp sealant.

So I’m going to do a little research and try to get the sealant with the highest temp rating as these turbo’s get pretty hot.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated…..