HybridZ

Clutch & Flywheel for L24 bored to 2.6

Dershum

After pulling the L24 from my 71 240 and sending it off to the machine shop, it looks like I'm going to need to have it bored, so I figured since we're doing it anyway, we may as well take it out to 2.6 (or so) while we're at it. We're also planning a mild street cam as well (haven't decided on the specifics yet, and I'm not an expert on cams, so I won't begin to try to act like one).

Anyway, the shop said to go ahead and bring in the clutch and flywheel so the flywheel can be balanced with everything else during the rebuild. So I wasn't originally planning to do much over stock with the motor, so I was hoping to get a little direction on the clutch/flywheel (the original flywheel is shot). After reading around quite a bit, it looks like the Fidanza aluminum flywheel is a pretty good unit, and inexpensive (comparably) to the other options out there.

http://thmotorsports...1/i-165495.aspx

However, after reading around it seems like there are two different sized flywheels running around out there that "fit"...a 225mm and a 240mm. If I'm understanding correctly, the 240mm is from the heaver 2+2 cars though...is this correct? The reason I ask is that I want to make sure the clutch I get is correct for the flywheel. Again, after reading around, it looks like clutch masters is regarded as good quality and good performance, so I was looking at this unit:

http://thmotorsports...0/i-147619.aspx

So I'm hoping that someone who's been there will let me know if this is a good direction for where I'm going, or if I'm completely wrong. Also, aside from the clutch/flywheel, are there any other parts I should be picking up now so they can be installed on the long block when the clutch/flywheel are installed?

If you're not making a ton of power, get the 225mm. You can get the 240mm unit if you want.

Its got enough grip and it weighs lighter and will make it feel more responsive. The fidanza unit is made with a 240mm surface and you can just run the 225mm on it.

I am currently running the fidanza with an exedy stage 1 240mm clutch on my 280zx, very streetable.

Just remember this:

"- A Zcar 5-speed will fit on any year Z block and any year L28 clutch can be used. But the throwout bearing "collar" must match the style of the flywheel (coupe or 2+2). In other words, if you have a 2+2 flywheel, you need to change the throwout collar to a 2+2 version. A coupe flywheel uses a coupe collar."

taken from: http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/

One last thought is if you aren't running AC you could get a damper with less rows.

Thanks for the good info. It's actually a 4 speed, but if I get the gist of what you're saying, as long as the clutch/flywheel are matched I'm fine.

Also, I was already looking at the single-slot damper from MSA:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/10-2139

The car came with "factory" A/C, but I pulled it off since it was far beyond dead and I don't really have a need for A/C, nor do I want the additional weight. I think the bracket alone weighed 20 pounds. Damned thing was made with battleship armor.

Since we're on the topic, aside from the engine work, lightened flywheel and lighter damper, any other suggestions of what I might want to look since it's already being rebuilt? I have a lot of faith in the engine/machine shop (he's done a lot of work on Z motors over the years), so not much more has come up, but I'm always open to ideas. Right now we're planning on the following:

New camshaft, internally oiled (going to ditch the spray bar that was on there)

Bore out the block

New pistons/bearings/internals (keeping the crankshaft and rods), with everything balanced

Usual head work (he's going to get me the specifics early next week)

New timing set

Lightened flywheel & new clutch

Performance damper

Replacing mechanical fuel pump with electrical one

Thinking about any port/polish work to the head while its apart?

According to what we're seeing, it's been ported before in the past, so we'll probably only need to do a polish. Going to replace the valve seats and such as well, but otherwise the head is in pretty good shape.