HybridZ

Vortex or LS1 heads?

well i got pics coming ill upload them sometime soon and yea im a tech college student and im very new to working on engines, just looking for advice, and my teachers dont like us asking questions like will this bolt up to that because they want us to focus more on stock stuff and newer technology like hybrids. Plus all the kids that know anything about sbcs are extreme rednecks and i dont like talking to them cause they seem to me to be very dumb.

heres some pics if they work, hope this helps.

20120116174802549.th.jpg

2012011617481934.th.jpg

20120116174744959.th.jpg

I hope no one is making fun of me or anything im just trying to learn a little bit here, im the only person in my family that has any experience with cars so im all alone here and at school its more geared to new cars not working on stuff like this. so sorry im just trying to learn by asking questions. :(

No, no one is making fun of you but I think its agreed that this question you could have easily answered yourself with Google. That is a Gen I,II block if you have vortec heads for it those will work good just need to buy the Carb intake manifold for it.

The Gen I SBC started in 1955 through 1999 as standard production. Those produced from 1996 to 1999 I call Gen I+ one-piece rear seal and roller camshaft. The LT-1 and LT-4 are Gen II and the blocks and heads are different than Gen I and also have one-piece rear seal and roller camshaft. Technology from Gen II cylinder heads evolved into more advanced Vortec heads on 1996 to 1999 truck heads. The Gen III and IV engines are different casting than Gen I and II for block and cylinder heads. For similar displacement , cylinder heads technology and similar ignition/fuel injection systems, Gen I, Gen II and Gen III engine assemblies will yield nearly the same HP and TQ.

alright thanks for the history :) i have another couple of questions and figured id just ask here instead of starting a new thread,the guy i got the heads from said they had LT-4 springs in them, does this mean i can run a bigger cam? he also gave me the original springs with them so i could switch them back if i want to. And my other question is how easy would it be to get 400hp from a sbc? i hear its easy but i just want something thats going to keep up with my brothers firebird. :P