HybridZ

C4 diff and halfshafts

ckrell

Here is a diagram i found on C4 Suspention if you made a suffishient mount for it i dont think there would be a problem would be a lot of fab work tho

post-18426-062155500 1326420094_thumb.jpg

Pic with C4 "mustashe bar" set up

post-18426-092375200 1326420348_thumb.jpg

I'm not shure where the "slip" is in the halfshaft, but no way it acts as a UCA

IMO Id be easyer to stick with the R-XXX setups

Edited by surpip

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but way back in the day a member here did an entire C4 IRS swap.

http://www.scottiegnz.com/corvette_irs_swap.html

[edit]

Looking at the site, the 'update' was posted 10 years ago, and I remember reading it when it was posted. I guess I've been at this a while...

Edited by zero

I'm not shure where the "slip" is in the halfshaft, but no way it acts as a UCA

IMO Id be easyer to stick with the R-XXX setups

:blink:

The half-shaft in a C4 Corvette does act as an upper control arm (or more accurately, an upper suspension link which helps form a virtual control arm). He is talking about the axles' ability to compress and extend, which the Corvette axles do not do because of the necessity for them to be stiff suspension links!

:blink:

How could they not bind as the suspention goes through travel? From the CAD pic i posted looks like an UCA would not be needed.

The half-shaft is the upper control arm and this is actually the reason it does not need the sliding joint. The reason the Z set up has the sliding joint is because the half-shat is NOT a control arm.

In the Corvette suspension the upper arm (half-shaft) moves the top of the wheel around as the suspension moves. The lower arm does the same so the wheel stays more or less vertical but the track changes with suspension motion. The sliding joint is not necessary because the wheel moves laterally (track changes) instead.

In the Z there is some track change as well but the half-shafts are not geometrically designed to swing on the exact same arc at wheels. This means the drive shaft length needs to change to accommodate the track changes and prevent unnecessary side loading of the bearings and suspension joints.