HybridZ

700r4 or turbo 350?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i have in my near future a 327sbc, 700r4, and turbo 350...i am going to put this engine and one of the tranny's in one day...i have a 78 2+2, i want to drive it daily, but also want good performance...which tranny is cheaper, easier, better, etc....thanks...

If this is going to be a "driver" do the 700R4. In stock form it may not be as strong as the TH350 but that overdrive will be really nice on the highway! Get someone who knows what they're doing to beef it up and make sure you install it correctly (TV Cable adjustment). Done "right" I think yopu'll find that the 700R4 is a superior transmission for a street driven vehicle.

Guest Anonymous

for any kind of drag raceing 700r4 is a week transmisiion period.. no matter what is done to it it wont live to long in a vehicle that is raced often.. Now for a weekend warrior its a good choice and better for driveablilty on the high way..

I know i went through 5 in under a year..

the 4l60e on the other hand is much better.. the 4l80e is the ultimate.. but theze require a computer to controll the trans..

The 4L60E is the electronic version of the 700R4 (aka 4L60). The early ones ('til 93 I believe) were very weak and unreliable. The newer units can be made to handle up to 600hp. The 4L80E is the ultimate, but is pricey and very heavy (225lbs) and is unnecessary unless you're putting out major ponies. The 700R4 will handle just about any mild to moderate sbc. Check out these sites:

The Transmission center

Bowtie Overdrives

I've looked into both and Bowtie has the best deals and service, but are in CA, so the shipping may be an issue.

Tim

I really like my 700R4...especially the overdrive!

I have owned and raced my car for one year now. I always drive on drag radials so the tranny gets some abuse. Low ET to date is a 11.71 hitting the nitrous as soon as the car reacts off the starting line. I have run a string of 1.67 to 1.70 60 ft. times recently. I guesstimate about 400 horse with the 100 shot of nitrous.

The trans was fresh when i bought it and I am using a stock torque convertor.

Driving on the freeway is great with the OD, 3.55's and 26" tall tires (235/60/15's).

I have friends with non OD cars...they are not fun anymore if you drive em' much.

I believe from 82 - 84, the 700R4 came with a small 27 spline input shaft. In 85, they switched to the stronger 30 spline input shaft. Also, in 87.5 an auxiliary valve body was added that (I think) allows WOT operation in fourth gear without downshifting.

The internals of the 700R4 are very similar to a TH-350 and I personally believe that the overdrive unit can be made just as strong as it's older brother (the 350). The biggest factor to consider is fluid pressure. Not enough, and the clutches will burn themselves in a matter of minutes. Too much, and all the pump seals/gaskets will be blown away. It's a delicate balance. Also, the factory valve body leaves a lot to be desired. GM tried to overcome some of it's idio-sycrocies by adding the auxiliary valve body... but it was just a band aid fix on a bigger problem. Most of the after market shift kits will mask this problem. However, I can't say how much abuse these transmission can take. After one summer of low eleven's, my pump bushing looks pretty eaten up. I'm mostly sure that this was due to the TC bolt holes in my flex plate elongating themselves and off centering the TC. I guess Nitrous and slicks will do that sort of thing. Besides that, I've never had any problems with clutches or gears breaking (knock on wood). Hopefully I’ve had just one minor set back and this isn't a sign of things to come.

-Andy

Guest Anonymous

The aux valve is for abuse ! Neutral bang etc .The 700 is a good stong trans. I've blown up a few yes but with 36x18 inch tires a solid roller 383 3000-3500 stall .It is very reliable if built correctly .after 88 they r stronger .I've broken parts that make the builder shake his head .I can pull the tires on my truck for a few feet on a good run .daily driver for years.