HybridZ

82 280zx Turbo Diesel Conversion

NWA 280ZXTD

I do similar fueling with biodiesel made from used Chinese fryer oil, on both daily drivers. Hard to beat fuel for less than $1 a gallon, especially when the VW gets better than 40mpg city, and the SUV gets 25mpg city.

How does the Liberty like the fryer oil? I've always liked those diesel Libertys but there is so much unkown about the engines used in them, so I never ventured into it.

How does the Liberty like the fryer oil? I've always liked those diesel Libertys but there is so much unkown about the engines used in them, so I never ventured into it.

The Libby loves biodiesel. I've put 80k miles on it using B100 and mixtures throughout the seasons, with no issues. I've plugged a filter once, and gelled a couple of times, but it performs on B100 just like normal.

On the other hand, there are a few vegetable oil conversions out there, and some of those have ended in disaster, mostly due to blowby polymerizing in the sump, and cooking bearings when the oil system loses lubrication. I would NEVER run even a little vegetable oil in the CRD; the injectors alone are $800 each to replace.

Waiting on the head from the machine shop, I should have it back monday or tuesday and I'll get the rest of the engine put together so I can start dropping it in.

Also I have a perfectly good L28ET that I have no use for it'll be a complete long block minus the oilpan. I can't post in the Classifieds, I'm not sure if I don't have enough posts yet or if I haven't been a member long enough or whatever the case maybe, but I'm asking $350 for the engine with just over 100K on it. PM me if your intested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...