HybridZ

'75 280Z Track Pass

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! 60 ft & ET break down? Besides the nos, what kind of internal engine mods/cam and heads?

I'll see if I can post a scan of the corresponding timeslip some time this week, but did 2.1 60' spinning hard when the juice kicked in at 4400rpm in 1st and 2nd.

I never got many details on the motor from the person I bought it from (mas28O), but it's got Trick Flow heads, mild cam ~236 dur, ~.600 lift, 1.7 rockers. On the motor it puts down 428rwhp on a Mustang dyno, not much more than a stock LS7 Z06.

Sometime in the future I'll have to get the cam measured to find out what it is exactly so that Comp Cams can grind me the right upgrade (bigger) cam.

I'll see if I can post a scan of the corresponding timeslip some time this week, but did 2.1 60' spinning hard when the juice kicked in at 4400rpm in 1st and 2nd.

I never got many details on the motor from the person I bought it from (mas28O), but it's got Trick Flow heads, mild cam ~236 dur, ~.600 lift, 1.7 rockers. On the motor it puts down 428rwhp on a Mustang dyno, not much more than a stock LS7 Z06.

Sometime in the future I'll have to get the cam measured to find out what it is exactly so that Comp Cams can grind me the right upgrade (bigger) cam.

Something does not seem right here. I'm having a stroked LS3 built by Golen engines and it's going to be 605hp all motor without trick flows. That seems to be the going number on a 416 CID motor, I checked LMR as well and they claim 620hp on theirs. I don't see how you could be loosing 170hp through the drive train. I think you have an LS3 with a cam and heads, a long way from a strocked LS3.

By the way I just sold my LS7 Z06 last month and at 428rwhp you are about 40hp short of a stock LS7 Z06. Mine put down 465rwhp stock and 490rwhp after headers and a tune by LG Motorsports in Dallas.

Every dyno seems different. Stock Z06's do ~400 - 412 on the dyno I get mine tuned on...once again a mustang dyno. ~80% of crank hp is what the dyno operator says for a manual trans car. The tuners should know that dyno numbers are for before-after comparisons more than any other purpose. As long as there is good improvement from the tune it shouldn't matter too much how high or low the numbers are. Mine put down 570 on the 150-shot.

There's different ways that very credible people calculate a crank horsepower number based on wheel horsepower, but since they don't agree there's no way for me to tell for sure. I've beaten more than a couple of cars that claim (and posted graphs) from 530-630 whp on other dynos and I don't think the weight difference accounts for all of it.

So I don't think there's anything "wrong" with my stroker LS3 except for a relatively small cam for the purposes I need the car for.

First, I was more referring to the actual rear end setup. Also, what does the car do on motor? Weight?

I'm really curious about all this because the engine i'm thinking about putting in my car is roughly the same HP. I will also say that 428 rwhp, even on a mustang dyno, sounds low for this engine / car combo. Those LS3's are animals!

The hp does sound pretty low for a cammed ls3 with trick flow heads. What intake/header/exhaust combo do you have. They are probably the culprits. At first I thought I read 128 mph so I thought maybe you didnt spray but then re-read and saw the 138. Nice trap man. Get some slicks and the car will definitely get into the low 10s. What does it weigh?

Edited by blueshark123

First, I was more referring to the actual rear end setup. Also, what does the car do on motor? Weight?

I'm really curious about all this because the engine i'm thinking about putting in my car is roughly the same HP. I will also say that 428 rwhp, even on a mustang dyno, sounds low for this engine / car combo. Those LS3's are animals!

-Short-nosed R200 3.54:1.

-Last month it did 11.48 @ 128 on the motor, pretty similar to what it did over two years ago 11.5 @ 127. Difference is I launched at ~4000 back then but in December I launched like on a green light briskly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7qc0XcgYCc

-The scale has been broken every time I've had the car at the track in the last year, but the '77 Z with the same drivetrain weighed in at 2790 one night. The differences between the two Z's...

- '75 has both original bumpers. '77 had no front bumper, only a fiberglass air dam

- '75 has John's Cars AC kit for factory air Zs. '77 did not.

- '75 has stock radio and speakers. '77 had door speakers and crossover.

- '75 has 2 strut tower braces. '77 had only front.

- '75 has heavy duty front sway bar. Don't recall what '77 had.

- '75 has giant windshield washer reservoir. '77 much smaller.

- '75 has full hood. '77 of course had the vents.

- '75 has 17" front wheels. '77 had 15"

- Oh well too much detail. My guess is the '75 weighs ~2850 or a little higher

Thanks guys.

I talked to the dyno tuner today and the same scenario played out for one of the cars they built and tuned. A 2006 LS7 Z06 on spray put down 721rwhp on their dyno, but did 211mph at the Texas Mile. None of the Vette crowd believed the dyno numbers. They would say that it takes X amount of hp to hit Y speed and 721 doesn't make sense, etc. etc.

But you're right. We really don't know what the motor is exactly since it hasn't been taken apart and measured. However, when I bought the motor mas28O said it was the same stroker LS3 that put down 550rwhp on a DynaPack at Synergy MotorSports Ca in his RX-7...rebuilt or just broken rockers replaced and sold to me.

The hp does sound pretty low for a cammed ls3 with trick flow heads. What intake/header/exhaust combo do you have. They are probably the culprits. At first I thought I read 128 mph so I thought maybe you didnt spray but then re-read and saw the 138. Nice trap man. Get some slicks and the car will definitely get into the low 10s. What does it weigh?

JTR 3.5" 90deg intake kit and 1+3/4" shorty headers for LS1

Exhaust is a single 3.5" (some sections 4" I believe) custom made by TurboHoses.com

When these ET Streets are bald, I think I'm going to go with some Hoosiers someone told me about that hook well. But the biggest problem is one of the CV axles needs repair. Otherwise I would feel confident enough to heat up the tires more and launch at 4000rpm and above.

what intake manifold? I'm still baffled that this thing didn't make at LEAST 450 rwhp. There are guys with heads/cam ls3's doing 500+ through an auto :blink: . Something doesn't add up. Thats all

Haha yea I agree. I mean it might just be the dyno and the type of correction factors that the tuner used. Usually I see tuners inflate hp numbers though lol.

And yea I meant intake manifold not actual intake piping.

It's a F.A.S.T.-90 intake.

It put down 446 in May of last year, but I added the AC kit, and had to dump the underdrive crank pulley in favor of stock size due to cooling issues at idle. Also backed off timing 2 degrees midrange and 1 up top due to pinging on pump gas at WOT. Another change was the dyno computer crashed so they had to replace it. They tell me that the new setup is -10hp from previous numbers.

Also, the raw numbers last month were 446 but weather-corrected down to 428.

Is there anyone here doing 128 traps to compare to? If we see their dyno numbers maybe that would help make sense to you guys.

With the previous LS1, I was only able to get a best of 122mph trap. Mas28O told me back then that it put down 440rwhp at Newtech Performance. I never saw a dyno sheet though. If someone is doing 122 traps then maybe I can get confirmation for that number.

The numbers you're giving, and the times are consistent - thats not what the debate here is about.

I PERSONALLY was thinking to myself, in my own little bubble, that the engine is not making what it should. My AFR Headed 11.3:1 228 duration .590" lift STOCK CI ls1 made 440 rwhp through a ford 9", t56, with AC, and power steering in an F-body.

AGAIN, not a stab at you, but the engine combo and numbers dont mesh.

my guess is the headers are seriously choking you down.

Edited by SUNNY Z

It doesn't matter how low the numbers seem. I understand when the dyno tuner explains things. I'm beating cars (and bikes) that the numbers say I shouldn't. That's the bottom line. My only overall loss so far was to this dang 9-sec CBR 1100. THAT was a whooping I'll never forget lol. With the bottle now maybe I can stay within a bus length or two.

I'd say your HP is reasonably consistent with your trap speed (If anything HP ratings a little conservative) . The stock LS7's at sacramento raceway run 121 to 123 , several hundred pounds heavier than yours & 420+ rwhp. Just my 2 cents. My Z runs 130 / 3210 race weight / 473 rwhp/485rwtq. It has a very wide power curve, LQ4 w/small maggie blower. Most of the on line HP calculators I've used suggest a bit more power than 473 (I think not). I would guess it has to do with a stronger average HP.