HybridZ

Radiator in a Z

alsil

What's up guys!

Wa swonderin what you guys are using for a radiator in your Z. I really don't think you're using a stock radiator. I was going to use the JTR brackets and radiator since it's pretty much a no-brainer, and a good radiator. I am going to use an early water pump (passenger side inlet) so that the hoses will be in the same place. Pretty suce the hose sizes are close, if not, there are adapter hoses. I'm also going to pick up the fan combo they suggest, from the Ford Taurus/Sable, that has 2 fans. I have a wrecking yard a mile from my work full of 'em. What did you guys do??

------------------

http://refuse.netdojo.com/Zcar

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I initally used the JTR set up with the black magic fan and had no overheating problems with norml street driving. On the track it would run alittle warm..Came across a nice fluidyne radiator that is about 5 in thick and all aluminum. Its now in the car with the black magic fan, I can run all day wide open with no temp issues. Mark

Once again, I have to beg off on this issue - I have never started the engine! If you have no radiator, I'd go for a Griffin or other large Aluminum radiator, since a few have had problems with the JTR recommended 84-86 Carmaro (non-heavy duty version) overheating on them.

Like I've said before, I got mine cheap, I have a powerful fan behind it, and if it doesn't work out, I'll have a Griffin, or some such, AND a powerful fan. I have A/C afterall, and you need more than just a wimpy fan if you ask it to do more than just cool the engine. I doubt I'll regret paying $175 for the fan new (the Ford parts guy liked the project!).

I would go with a SPAL or other sort of fan before the Black Magic fan though, as they have been shown to be better at pulling air through, make less noise, and are more efficient. I believe the same can be said of alot of the OE fans of late (Late Mustang GT (after the cooling fan upgrade (after 98?), Taurus, Lincoln MK VII, etc.) I feel this is one area the OE's have done their homework and have alot to offer.

Those are my opinions based upon the information I've seen on radiators and fans. Others will probably come to different conclusions. Some of my info on fans comes from automotive engineers at Ford, and from JTR. As for the radiator, well, this site has shown me that the Camaro radiator has it's limitations. For a mild V8, it's probably fine. If I have to change mine to a Griffin, I'm out a whopping $50 for the like- new Camaro radiator and custom supports that I bought from Jim Biondo. $50 is chump change when it comes to the total project cost, believe me!

I am using a later model datsun radiator in my 260. I believe that it is out of a 280z. The radiator is a three core setup and is taller the the 260 radiator. The bottom tank hangs about 2 inches below the bottom of the radiator support.

I have a completely stock 5.0 mustang engine in my car, and have no cooling problems. The car can idle in traffic in 95 degree weather all day long without overheating. I haven't even installed a fan shroud (yet). I'm not saying that this combination will keep higher horsepower engines cool, but it works fine with my stock 5.0.

Pete, just an FYI - the 6cyl Mustang fan is a single speed fan even though it looks pretty much the same as the GT and Cobra fans. It was only the Cobra that received the cooling fix BTW.

IF I were doing a Ford swap I'd look closely at the FOX radiators starting with the 87 models and up to the 94-95 years and maybe even the latest cars too.

I'd also try to use the later model reverse rotation pump and serpentine belt setup as the later style pump is probably better. If it owuld be helpful to have measurements on a stock FOX bodied radiator lemme' know and I'll measure mine. Even with a blown 351W I figure on using the stock radiator unless it overheats (shrug). There's a big aftermarket for those radiators so you should have plenty of options with both brasscopper and aluminum ones around.

If you have to buy a new radiator, the Griffin universal 24x19 is a great buy. $188 delivered from Summit. It will require having some tabs welded so it can be bolted up in the stock holes and it does not have a petcock, but is sure cools and the aluminum looks good.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

• 5 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I'll second the above opinion about the 24x19 Griffin. I have one in mine, and it will cool sufficiently with a/c on during a 105 deg day. One thing I'd like to say about Griffins is that you don't want to mount it with the rails that run between the tanks. I made two cup-shaped brackets out of alum. that mount below the tanks and are lined with 1/8" rubber. At the top I have two more brackets that secure it that are also rubber lined. As for a fan (does anyone run an engine driven fan like I do?) I run a 9 blade plastic from an '89 stang with the vis. clutch and reverse rotation serp. belt drive. Just be sure you have a tight fitting shroud.

One of my gripes about the JTR manual is that they went to all the work of swapping tanks to stuff a Chevy radiator in, when a radiator from a late '70 Jeep CJ V8 almost bolts right in (except the mounting flange is backwards). That is what I used to run until the Griffin came along.

I'll chime in here too. I bought a 24 X 17 Griffin aluminum radiator. Works good, but have never had any fans on it (raced it). I am adding fans now for street duty. Again, I supported it by the side tanks by fabricating cups to fit the ends of the tanks, and then putting dense foam insulation between the tanks and the cups.

Terry

Guest Anonymous

Excellant! that's how I did it.

Oh, I forgot to state why I originally did a V8 Jeep CJ radiator before the Griffin came along. It has 3-rows like the 280z rad, but the fin and tube count is quite a bit denser, giving a little better cooling than stock. Moot point, nowadays, though.