HybridZ

280zx with dual 240 carbs

Bling

hey guys my dads giving me a 82 280zx non turbo that runs for a while then floods and cuts off. Im going down to NC to pick it up but will only have a few days to get it running. after downloading FSM reading and reading and changing fuel pressure regulator, im seeing that i could change cold start, fuel filter, flush fuel lines, replace all the vac lines, change that fuel return line regulator thingy and buy a new AFM to see whats wrong. but thats hundreds of dollars and time that could still leave me with a non running car. i was thinking that i could buy a old intake with dual side drafts carbs to get the car running again. the option to tow the car back up to Delaware is my current plan, i jus would like to get it running while im down there.

i kno fuel injected is better than carbs but carbs are easier to get running plus, dual stacks are cool

so my questions are

1 can it be done

2 does the old intake bolt right up

3 what modifications would i have to do to vac and fuel lines

maybe a link to someone who has done it would be cool

A low pressure pump. I would pretty much do the maintenance part of what you said (new fuel filter, lines) then move to the injectors/rail, then move to the AFM.

I would rather replace that stuff anyway with known good components (place a wanted add up). Its not that hard to change the afm and fuel rail/lines, but changing the whole intake will be a pain if you've never dealt with it before.

Also I think it would be about the same in price. A good set of rebuilt SU's with intake can go for $250-$300.

i kno fuel injected is better than carbs but carbs are easier to get running plus, dual stacks are cool

so my questions are

1 can it be done

2 does the old intake bolt right up

3 what modifications would i have to do to vac and fuel lines

maybe a link to someone who has done it would be cool

Not only can it be done, but it can be done to very great effect. Go spend many a happy hour reading http://datsunzgarage.com/

Don't expect to just buy a pair of SU's and slap them on the car. A fully prepared set with manifold and balance tube is going to cost you serious coin. If you are spending less than $1000 then you are either really lucky or you do not have a set of carbs that will work well.

You need to study SUs. They are excellent devices if you understand their limits and foibles.

They wear disastrously where the throttle shaft passes thru the body. This creates a vacuum leak that makes them utterly untuneable.

This is commonly repaired. It is tricky and a hobbyist needs to be quite talented to get it right. There are many competent businesses that will do the fix.

I think I am correct to say that ZTherapy has the best solution and the best price. For a bit more than $600 they will take a set of rebuildable carbs and polish them to a fair-thee-well, and install in the place where others install bushing, needle bearings that are sealed against air leaks. This solution is essentially forever. Do a web search. They know their business absolutely.

What you need to be VERY careful of is to not buy rubbish SUs to start with. If they cannot be rebuilt, they will be useless to you.

And it is not as if there are simply millions of Hitachi made SU's sitting around just looking for a good home.

The Fuel injection might cost a bit more to get back together, but I bet every part that you would need to replace is available from half a dozen reliable suppliers. A point to think about.

A good set of rebuilt SU's with intake can go for $250-$300.

Hey Blue. How are you?

You really think a good set of SU's can be had for that? If you say so. I personally would not trouble with anything not rebuilt by ZTherapy, and that is going to set you back a fair bit more than that.

But I would be the last to say that you are wrong.

My front carb is CERTAINLY sucking past the throttle shaft. I am scratching together $325 to get a set of bushed carb bodies from ZThrerapy. (The carbs are essentially sound, I just need the proper bushing).

I still would like to stumble across a full turbo motor........

a good set of carbs is hard to find maybe i should try the single carb. and what fuel pump do i use? or can i get a fuel pressure regulator?

I think you'll spend just as much on a 4-brl and intake manifold as you would on good rebuilt SU's.

a good set of carbs is hard to find maybe i should try the single carb. and what fuel pump do i use? or can i get a fuel pressure regulator?

Hard to find and good set both are subjective measures.

For carbs on a Z the best choice is the SU pair. Unless you are ready to pay real money to fully prepare an engine, in which case three side draft Webers are neat.

SUs are better in that they are vastly easier to set up and maintain. But the Webers have a whole lot more potential to make power. All at vastly more cost.

A decent pair of SUs can be found with effort.

As I wrote a few days back, condition is important. There are lots of pages on the web discussing these things. And plenty of discussion on this board, go find the section on fuel delivery.

Have you visited ZTherapy's site? There is information there.

Oh, don't try to use the FI fuel pump, I don't think it is worth the effort to dial down its pressure.

Low pressure pumps are readily available at parts stores. A basic pressure regulator that tones it down to 3lbs is also readily available and should not be pricey.