HybridZ

l24 head on l28 block question

DRFTFreak

Im buying a 1973 240z with a L28 block and a L24 head. He said its going to need a new wiring harness. I haven't really had the chance to check the car out and see whats all going to be needed. its a project car i'm getting for $400. The body is straight no rust on the outside but the floor boards are toast. I have to re do all the interior but i need to get it at least running. i guess what i'm really asking is what all am i going to need to make a new harness for this and is there anything else that i might need to know or to look for on this kind of setup? I've built tons of cars but all of them where fuel injected lol. Any help would be great. i've been googleing all i can.

The ez wire kit goes in real well and easy. There is a real good chance that if the floorboards are gone there is a lot more metal gone also. the P.O. off my car flattened soda cans and sprayed undercoating over them nice and thick so it looked like it was rust free.

Why does your title mention head and block but your question is about wiring?

You should ask him what works and what doesn't, what's changed and what's 1973 stock. His "new harness needed comment" could be because it looks ratty or because it's been ripped out entirely. Find out if it has the 280Z distributor and an electronic ignition module or the original 240Z points distributor.

The head and the block will work together, but you need to know what the other parts are to decide how to get it to run.

I asked about the wiring harness because the 280 was fuel injected and the 240 wasn't so the plugs are prob different on there harnesses idk. And yes the harness in there is ratty that's why he said it would need a new one. i've never owned a older z so idk what to look for on the harness. he said it ran 2 years ago but its been sitting. I'm sure there's more rust then i noticed from my quick look but once i get into ill find it lol. the paint job is original though so if there's rust its prob under the car due to sitting.

so i need to look at the distributor and electronic ignition module or 240Z points distributor. Anything else?

The presence of the L28 does not necessarily mean there is any electrical differences. All of the '73 electrical parts will fit directly on the L28 block and work correctly. Because you have carbs, the fuel injection question is likely a non issue. The alternators are essentially the same up to about '78. The ignition is the variable most likely to be an issue. It is possible the car has the '73 points distibutor. If has the electronic ignition from a newer model you will have to look at the car to see how well the conversion was done.