HybridZ

JTR wiring questions?

Im doing the wiring on my 240z V8 swap, i searched for an answer but no luck. So here it goes. I made a quick sketch of the wiring on the JTR manual. I got a few questions with this.

First of where does the green-white wire hook up to? that wire was mentioned on the previos page on the manual but it just says attach to the fuel pump wiring. Ok fair enough, so where is that wire on the schematic? Does it splice into the GREEN fuel pump wire?

Then it tells me to run a wire from the black-yellow (10) wire that powers the starter solenoid to NUMBER 1 wire?

So my questions is what is the #1 WIRE? where did it come from? what color?

And then the manual says NOT to connect the wire that operates the starter solenoid to the fuel pump. Ok so connecting #10 wire to #1 wire essentialy does this. Since #1 is connected to #2 wire (fuel pump). So what am i reading wrong? Is it a contradiction?

All i want to know is where do i hook up the green-white wire to, where do i hook up that Splice from the black-yellow wire (starter) to?

Finally the manual says to cut the GREEN fuel pump wire on the passenger footwell. So does it mean cut it and run the wire to the fuel safety swith, or splice the GREEN wire?

As always i appeciate the help!

V8 WIRE.bmp

First of all, as a good rule of thumb, try to give as much info about your swap as possible when asking questions like this. To help you sufficiently with your wiring problems it will help to know the year of your 240z, if you are using the stock fuel pump or an aftermarket electric fuel pump.

Assuming a 240Z with a 350SBC engine and HEI distributor here is the wiring as per JTR:

Green-White wire: Attach to fuel pump side of the oil pressure switch so the fuel pump will operate during starter operation. This is wire 1 on the JTR diagram. It ties into the wire (2) that goes to the fuel pump. This wire energizes when you move the key to the start position. If you turn the key part way to start just the fuel pump will come on which I use when the car has sat for awhile.

Yellow-Black: Oil pressure sending wire.

Black-White without protective sleeve: Tach terminal on HEI distributor.

Black-White with protective sleeve: Bat terminal on HEI distributor.

Yellow-White: Water temp gauge

White-Red Thick: Alternator

White: Positive terminal on starter

Black-yellow: starter terminal

The green wire can be found in the wiring harness between the glove box and the side of the car. It has a bullit connector that you can unplug and attach a wire from the output side of the oil pressure switch. The other end of the green wire is taped with the wires that attach to the fuel sending unit. I installed a Painless fuel pump relay between the oil pressure switch output and the green wire inside the car.

Edited by Miles

Yes my swap is a 350 sbc with an HEI.

That's what i thought #1 wire was (green-white) but then for whatever reason the schematic on the book says to connect #10 (starter solenoid) to #1 wire. I'm thinking this is a mistake correct? Since in the later pages it states NOT to connect #10 to the fuel pump, which essentialy is #1 wire.

Am i correct then? so the Black-yellow wire does not connect to anything other than the starter solenoid right?

Thanks for the help i appreciate it

Edited by Jonas240z

I think they splice to the starter wire so that the fuel pump works during startup. In the way the manual has it wired, with the fuel pump going strictly to the pressure switch, theoretically you could have to little oil pressure on initial start and the fuel pump would not supply fuel. With the pump tied into the starter solenoid then ignition is giving power to pump until sufficient oil pressure is achieved to activate switch. I THINK this is explained in the text somewhere, but I could be wrong.

I think they splice to the starter wire so that the fuel pump works during startup. In the way the manual has it wired, with the fuel pump going strictly to the pressure switch, theoretically you could have to little oil pressure on initial start and the fuel pump would not supply fuel. With the pump tied into the starter solenoid then ignition is giving power to pump until sufficient oil pressure is achieved to activate switch. I THINK this is explained in the text somewhere, but I could be wrong.

No. Do not connect the starter wire to the oil pressure switch. The purpose of the Green-White wire is to provide power while cranking. Actually, the wire is energized as you turn the key just before the switch hits the strarting position in the ignition switch. You can test this by connecting a test light to the green-white wire and turn the the ignition switch to start. You will see the light come on before the starter engages. As I recall the original purpose of the green-white wire was to provide direct voltage to the coil while cranking. I use this feature to fill the carb bowls if the car has sat too long.

In the JTR Fuel System chapter:" If you are using the HEI distributor, the easiest way to wire the fuel pump for cranking conditions is to connect the green-white wire to the fuel pump wiring." This is the "by-pass" wire number 1 on the JTR electrical diagram on page 9-6. In the book you have to flip between page 9-6 and page 13-2.

I tested the oil pressure switch before installing the engine. Using a drill to turn the oil pump drive and connecting a volt meter to the oil pressure switch, the oil pressure switch closed almost instantly. The switch is on a hair trigger and closes with very little pressure.

Edited by Miles