HybridZ

Obx confusion

vega

$400+ for just the gears is outrageous. In the nismo catalog I didn't see anything besides 3.7?

When I was looking for gears I saw that guy on ebay and asked him if they work for the z31 r200 and he said no, not sure why though I didn't really research further. Actually looking at those, I assume they're all for a short nose R200. You might be in luck though if you want to go from 3.7 to 3.9 because it seems like you'd only need to swap the ring, since the pinion on both versions is still 10 teeth.

I've never heard of a driveshaft being called an arm, but I think that would throw me through a loop too. We already have enough trouble with stub axles/stub shafts around here :rolleyes:

$400+ for just the gears is outrageous. In the nismo catalog I didn't see anything besides 3.7?

When I was looking for gears I saw that guy on ebay and asked him if they work for the z31 r200 and he said no, not sure why though I didn't really research further. Actually looking at those, I assume they're all for a short nose R200. You might be in luck though if you want to go from 3.7 to 3.9 because it seems like you'd only need to swap the ring, since the pinion on both versions is still 10 teeth.

I've never heard of a driveshaft being called an arm, but I think that would throw me through a loop too. We already have enough trouble with stub axles/stub shafts around here :rolleyes:

THEY ARE STUB AXLES DANG IT ALL! arg

I currently have a 3.545 rear set in the factory r200 (which i THINK is a short nose??? i have been getting mixed up about what is a short nose and what is long...)so I guess I am missing what you mean going from 3.7 to 3.9?

More informative reading - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/32313-putting-lsd-in-non-lsd-r200/

The simple route to OBX LSD with the gear ratio you want seems to be to buy an open differential "assembly" with the desired ratio (~$90 at the local Pick n Pull), then bolt the ring gear on to the OBX carrier/differential/center/whatever and re-assemble.

Here's a thread about long-nose, short-nose, etc. - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

That's understandable. I forgot it's not always springtime in some dark corners of the world. Actually it's sprinkling today and the whole state basically shut down :P

Suffice it to say all Zs had long nose diffs. Therein lies the problem, if you had a short nose diff we wouldn't even be having this thread right now, they're a dime a dozen, which is why many people spend the time and money converting their setup.

People I know refer to the case as the pumpkin, at least for solid axle diffs, because the center of the housing is rather spherical. I still hate the term either way.