HybridZ

Got my new toy done today....

auxilary

SKSs are excellent rifles. More accurate than AKs, just as reliable, and I favor stripper clips vs. magazines.

$167 after tax/dros for the lower

$66 for lower parts kit (single stage trigger, pistol grip)

$20 california compliant bullet button

$114 for magpull stock and buffer tube/spring.

$300 Stag 4h complete upper from a friend (he had it sitting new in box, normal price is $560)

$40 for 2 10-round pinned magazines.

So just around $730 or so. You can buy a new Smith & Wesson MP-15 from buds gunshop for about $620, which is a really good deal

I have four SKSs and one AR. The AR is just an easier rifle to shoot. The smaller caliber and lower recoil makes it very repeatable without getting "flinchy". The build quality of an AR is so much superior to an SKS, and that's a lot of the price difference. That said, I would rather have an SKS than an AK. As a previous poster stated, they're more accurate than an AK and just as reliable, for the most part. I do have a "D" model that is picky about ammo but my other three are as reliable as a stone axe. One of mine is a Yugo with a Russian bolt that shoots anything I put in it. Another one is a Russian that looked like it was pulled off the bottom of a lake. Cleaned it all out, knocked off the rust and it eats anything I put in it. Shoots a little wider than I would like but what would you expect for a rifle that has rust pitting in the last 3" of the barrel? My best SKS shooter will make a 4" group from 200 yards, and that's with iron sights and my 40+ year old eyes. Plus, there are a few cool things you can do with the SKS for cheap.

I am new to the rifle game, and I am only 19 years old, I have fired an SKS, Norinco Chinese version that my boss owns. I haven't fired an AK or an AR15 yet, I need to shoot my bosses AR though. I did recently see that there will be US made AK47's available on the market soon though. Although at the stock of an AR15 I would rather have the AR15. I like the idea of a larger round, but at what cost does the larger round come?

The reason I was planning on pickup up an SKS is the price of the gun, the higher accuracy over the AK47 because I can pick up a stamped AK47 for $300-$400 at the local gun store. I was looking to get either a Russian or a Yugo machined version, I had to pass one up because I didn't have the money a month back, the prices are high because guns are quickly becoming more and more popular. I'm sure if you graphed prices of an SKS in just the past 5 years you would see a huge price spike. Knowing I could have gotten one for $100-$150 5 years ago and now I struggle to find a Chinese one at $275.

Its amazing to see the cultural differences. Here guns are mostly frowned upon. The exceptions are for armed forces, police, sports shooters and farmers. For private individuals it is illegal to buy or own any military grade or automatic weapons. But then again here there is very little need for them.

Its absolutely terrible here. There are hardly ever any shootings for the media to report on. The media are then forced to report on car crashes and political scandal. :)

I know what you mean, Galderdi...we rarely hear of shootings...mostly just political garbage on TV now.

I do a little amateur gunsmithing myself; my first was a M24 Mauser re-stocked, bolt turned and D&T'd for optics, the second was an 1895 manufacture M95 Mauser, reworked completely to a sporting arm, rebarreled from a blank, restocked from a blank, and fitted with optics and iron sights. It shoots cloverleafs at 140ds if I do my part.

Right now I'm actually building a reloading press in the shop...

Building a reloading press? Sounds like a fun little project :D

I'm a fan of the old SMLEs... Got a 1940 Ishapore, and a 1898 MLE what was armoury refurbed 1908 by the stamps. The MLE is metalwork only, need to hook up with some furniture for it.

All this talk and I need to get out and go shooting soon. I've only been out once in the last 1.5 years and I've got the itch. I have a few larger caliber toys but I find that shooting my Marlin 17HMR is most fun. I can shoot it all day long, not get flinchy and not break $25. Can put a hole in a quarter from 100yds too.

Very nice! Spikes is good stuff :)

I have this rifle from spikes. My roommate is military, so he was able to pick up the LE version and then we did the paperwork to transfer it to me.

Upgrades include:

Magpul MOE grip

Magpul MOE stock

Magpul MOE handguards

Magpul MOE front grip

Rainier Arms compensator

DMPS charging handle

Extended bolt release (don't remember the details off of the top of my head)

Surefire light and mount

Magpul flip-up rear sight

Next on the list is a dedicated optic, but I haven't decided on one yet.

You won't be disappointed with the quality of the lower! I've shot my spikes and a bushy back to back, and it made the bushy feel like it was a cheap imitation.

IMG_17611.jpg

Here's my newest toy :)

Sig p238 bitone with the factory laser not installed in this pic) and extended mag:

IMG_19791.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell pics!

Edited by cockerstar

Building a reloading press? Sounds like a fun little project :D I'm a fan of the old SMLEs... Got a 1940 Ishapore, and a 1898 MLE what was armoury refurbed 1908 by the stamps. The MLE is metalwork only, need to hook up with some furniture for it.

Yep...I don't like presses that flex when I am doing case forming, so this one is getting built. It's mostly made of 5/8" plate steel scrap, and a few other pieces of "Grade C" scraps...heavy bricks of rusty old steel that I picked up for next to nothing at an industrial yard sale.

I see :

a russian SKS,

91/30

norinco sks (needle bayonet)

yugo sks with grenade launcher

camo sks is a yugo 59/66? or a russian, can't tell.

garand

yugo mauser?

springfield xd45?

the little guy looks like a bersa .30 cal? can't tell.