HybridZ

Tools for transmission rebuild?

Just wanted to be made aware of any caveats, gotchas, or nuances. Along with any special tools I may need that are not mentioned in the Haynes manual. I'm sorry if I'm spamming up the forums. I used the search function but when I searched "transmission rebuild" all I got were pictures of lumberjacks holding engines in one hand and pint glasses of maple syrup or Miller Genuine Draft (couldn't tell...)... Again I'm sorry. If you guys think I should take a break, I will lol. Just bored in class.

For the cost of the tools and effort in actually rebuilding, not to mention the difficulty of sourcing parts, I would really recommend replacing yours with a used Tranny that would fit your engine. I assume you're talking about a Z car tranny, and hopefully an S30/S130, since you're in this forum. So a good choice is the 82/83 280ZX 5 speed tranny. It'll bolt right up to your L24/l26/L28 and you can use your same driveshaft and everything. You should be able to find one relateively cheap.

If you do end up rebuilding, I hope that you'll post some picts and a log of your experience with it.

Phar

For the cost of the tools and effort in actually rebuilding, not to mention the difficulty of sourcing parts, I would really recommend replacing yours with a used Tranny that would fit your engine. I assume you're talking about a Z car tranny, and hopefully an S30/S130, since you're in this forum. So a good choice is the 82/83 280ZX 5 speed tranny. It'll bolt right up to your L24/l26/L28 and you can use your same driveshaft and everything. You should be able to find one relateively cheap.

If you do end up rebuilding, I hope that you'll post some picts and a log of your experience with it.

Phar

Alright well I can hear my gears whirring at idle which means some bearings need to be placed among other things. Would sourcing those bushings/bearings be easier for a 32 280zx 5 spd tranny? I'm trying to get on your guyses level, you know, doing all the auto work yourself. Welding and everything. So I feel like I need to be able to do this to call myself a Z owner. If I ride this old tranny until the wheels fall off could it cause serious damage in other areas of the car? I want to save up for a VQ35DE Rev Up swap. I feel like with a newer engine and transmission part sourcing would become infinitely easier.

The basic rebuild pars for the Z transmissions are not difficult to find. I got the bearings, syncro rings, and a few gaskets from drivetrain.com. I was able to get the other small parts I needed from Nissan. Gears and cases might not be available, I did not need any so I did not look.

The special tools necessary are :

gear puller

bearing separator

36mm crowfoot wrench (to torque the nut on the main shaft)

snap-ring pliers

hydraulic press

dial indicator (if you want to measure the gear lash)

Get a copy of the factory manual from http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html and review the transmission section. It shows the procedures pretty clearly and the special tools needed.

We had trouble removing the counter-drive gear from the counter-shaft. The gear puller fractured the back-side edge of the gear teeth where the jaws pull on the gear. We damaged one gear so we purchased a different puller and another transmission (for parts) and ended up causing similar damage to the replacement gear as well. We put it together anyhow and it seems to be fine so far even after a few weekends at the race track.

Edited by beermanpete