HybridZ

4.6L??

Guest Anonymous

i am a tech at a ford dealer -i have thought about this but i have a turbo l28 in my car know and have a spare l28et to go.these engines run real smooth.kind of wide but spark plugs are on top.front of sump will fit over cross member.you wil have to get ecm reprogrammed because you wont have some of the emission stuff(cats,evap system)and it will through codes.get factory evtm for year of motor(wiring harness book)unlike gm the ford wiring book is separate from service manual.

Figure it's as wide or slightly wider than a big block Ford 460. If you're REALLY curious about this let me know and I'll hit my friend's new motor with a measuring tape for you and take some pics. These are NOT cheap motors but very smooth and have a giant powerband to them.

they put out like 260 or so

and torq is like 300+

and they rev like nuts! do you guys know if they are still stock rollerized motors????

drove a 96 gt once and i can remeber just revving the crap out of it, the r's just wind out so quick, i like it~!

Guest Anonymous

Was'nt the 96 GT just a 2 cam modular? I didn't see references in the above post to a 4 cam cobra motor. A 2 cam motor and trans shouldn't cost that much. 4 cammer, sure you bet.

Lone

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

Was'nt the 96 GT just a 2 cam modular? I didn't see references in the above post to a 4 cam cobra motor. A 2 cam motor and trans shouldn't cost that much. 4 cammer, sure you bet. Lone

Lone,

You read my mind; I too was thinking about the 4cammer Cobra; as wide as it is(?); still think about the mileage it would do in a Z w/performance to boot!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

After seeing the quad cam Lexus engine in the Z (in pictures), I would think it (the Ford Modular 4 cam) might stand a chance of fitting, although to be honest I havn't seen the engine out of the car and don't know where all the ancillary bits to make it run would fall out. Anyone know where things are located on that motor and what might strike what? Just for benchracing grins.

Lone

this motor has all acessories directly mounted to engine.alternator is in center of v on top,ac compressor is on lower right of block,ps pump is lower left.there is no sump in front.spark plugs are on top of heads between valve covers and intake manifold.ignition is either coil packs with plug wires or 2000 up has little direct fire coils on each plug.engine is wide but since plugs are on top its no big deal.dohc cobra engine is aluminum block.the lincoln mark 8 had dohc but with iron block.best way to get some thing like this is to bid at salvage pool auction if possable-cut out the auto wrecker middle man.then strip car and sell what you dont use.also the 1999 cobra and mark 8 have a 8.8 irs rear and a 3.27 or 3.55 works good.

3.27 or 3.55? The guys around here all switch to 4series gears smile.gif The mechanic I know had something steeper than a 4.30 and may have just dropped back to a 4.30. Heh, he's running a T56 too. The IRS cars are really easy to swap to T56 - the driveshaft doesn't even have to be cut. Lot's of local guys are moving up to the T56. It's not cheap since it must be bought new but the T45s blow up WAAAY too often.

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

so has anyone done it yet? 4.6 dohc (from a mark viii) and a 83 280zx turbo. looking for some know how before we tear into it ourselves.

Guest Anonymous

I don't believe I've heard anyone in this forum saying they've done a Sohc or Dohc motor. The Dohc is particularly wide, it'd probably be tight but might just fit, someone did a lexus 4 cam (actually this was in a first gen Z, not sure on a 2nd Gen Z), so it may be possible. Probably need to custom fab everything though probably including the headers unless someone is making some sort of block huggers unless you catch a break with the stock manifolds falling out just right, I'd be shocked if it doesn't have steering column interference without a extra U joint or two in the steering column..

Goodluck with your project,

Lone

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

havent done any measuring yet but looked at a 96 motor yesterday and its a LOT bigger looking-- i'd be real suprised if it would fit...

better choice would be the 94-5 5L the are less HP but nicer looking intake is lower and the Tbody is curved to teh front so that plumbing will look better too....

i will have a TON of pics of my 93 5L install soon .. got it turning over today and hope to fire it up tomorrow or friday...

Guest Anonymous

Maybe its not as wide as it looks. I do agree, it would be a killer swap though.

Regards,

Lone

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

If your looking for a cheap 4.6L, you won't have much luck, if any. Your best bet is to call around to a few places that sell wrecked cars or flood damaged cars and get quotes on '94 thru '97 Mercury Cougars and Ford Thunderbirds. My brother picked up a '94 Thunderbird with a 4.6L SOHC for 3 grand from a place in Florida. All we had to do was change about a grand in parts (which we got for relatively cheaper) and fix the interior up, that was it. The only real problems you'll find in those flood damaged cars are electrical wiring and rust. You'll have to change the basics (alternator, AC compressor, Power Steering Pump, Radiator, etc.) but its cheaper than going out and buying a new one from Ford and you'll have less problems with those than junkyard 4.6Ls. icon_cool.gif

• 7 years later...

the dohc's are actually 280hp from the mark viii's and they shouldn't be that hard to find considering the number of mark viii's i find in the junkyard. Plus the dohc's do run well, have plenty of power, and are quite reliable. I was contemplating this swap today in my 280zx since I have a mark viii also.