HybridZ

Are body fillers OK to smooth parts of the engine bay?

For instance, I am doing the whole wire tucked bay thing. I no longer need the fire wall wire harness hole or wiper harness hole. I also no longer need several screw holes.

For the wiper and wire harness holes, I cut a small square piece of sheet metal and welded it behind them, but obviously its still inset there. I also need to smooth out where I welded some new metal where the battery was. Are body fillers OK to smooth out these small things in the engine bay? Last thing I want is to go through all this work having a clean engine bay and the thing crack or what not. The stuff wouldn't be much thicker than like 1/16" inch. Probably more in the battery area.

-Daniel

I certainly hope so. I have done this and am currently in the high build primer sanding phase. I have no practical experience as to whether or not it will crack however various forms of fillers are used on a very regular basis. Based on advice from my local auto paint supply shop I can tell you the approach I have taken.

I too used backing fill plates in some locations and flush welded plates in others. Flush is always better but backside works too. For those areas that had a backside plate, and any other moderately deep defect, I used a fiberglass filled compound such as Pro-Glas. It has a lot more strength and should better resist cracking. After lots of sanding this was followed by the standard filler such as Feather Rite. After copious hours of sanding it was catalyzed sealer followed by high build primer and, you guessed it, a lot more sanding. Depending on the level of perfection you want in the engine bay be prepared for a lot of filling and smoothing. The pictures below so my progression.

post-4776-035583000 1330921545_thumb.jpg

post-4776-068670100 1330921565_thumb.jpg

post-4776-029046800 1330921595_thumb.jpg

post-4776-090453800 1330921629_thumb.jpg

post-4776-086003300 1330921652_thumb.jpg

Looks good, you modified your bay a LOT more than I plan on doing. As mine sits, I have camber plates welded in, brackets removed, some holes I definitely will never use again welded up, wire harness holes welded up with backing plates. Sitting in self etching primer right now.

Are those brackets on your shock towers for mounting a strut bar?

There may be off the shelf tabs available but I am not aware of them. I put a lot of thought into the method of connecting everything and needed a lot of unique bits to pull it off. I made templates which were converted into metal tabs & brackets by a local machine shop.

I researched for and purchased two diamters of carbon fiber tubing in 6' lengths and matched these with two lengths of 6061 aluminum rod. The aluminum rod OD is almost identical to the CF tubing OD. Lastly I bought matching pairs of left hand and right hand threaded heim joints. After figuring out the triangulation I wanted in the engine bay I measured the lengths necessary and cut the CF tubing. The aluminum rod was cut into 3" lengths, two for each tube. The aforementioned machine shop turned the aluminum end pieces to the ID of the tubing, leaving a little at end to form a lip/stop. He also center drilled and tapped the end pieces so the heim joints would thread in. In addition I had him cut a little relief into the end pieces to allow a little extra epoxy to help bond the aluminum to the CF.

I am pretty pleased with the results.

post-4776-054418900 1331080646_thumb.jpg

post-4776-073183500 1331080703_thumb.jpg

post-4776-014511900 1331080736_thumb.jpg

I certainly hope so. I have done this and am currently in the high build primer sanding phase. I have no practical experience as to whether or not it will crack however various forms of fillers are used on a very regular basis. Based on advice from my local auto paint supply shop I can tell you the approach I have taken.

I too used backing fill plates in some locations and flush welded plates in others. Flush is always better but backside works too. For those areas that had a backside plate, and any other moderately deep defect, I used a fiberglass filled compound such as Pro-Glas. It has a lot more strength and should better resist cracking. After lots of sanding this was followed by the standard filler such as Feather Rite. After copious hours of sanding it was catalyzed sealer followed by high build primer and, you guessed it, a lot more sanding. Depending on the level of perfection you want in the engine bay be prepared for a lot of filling and smoothing. The pictures below so my progression.

I like your project. Do you have a build thread going? Nice work on the LS mounts BTW.

I like your project. Do you have a build thread going? Nice work on the LS mounts BTW.

Alas, despite numerous prods from 1TuffZ I have yet to start an actual build thread. Partially because I have had this intense fear of failure and I really didn't want the whole (likely partial) HybridZ community see it.

do you recommend this bracing setup on a VQ35 swap?

If you are using your car aggressively (Auto-X, HPDE, etc) anything you can do to stiffen these noodles we call Z cars is a good idea. I have no empirical data to confirm my design works however it makes sense geometrically.