HybridZ

Cam Question

74_5.0L_Z

Over the christmas holiday I plan to put some Edelbrock aluminum heads(P/N 6037), and a new cam in my engine. I'm trying to decide which cam to get. The engine is fuel injected, and has a stock 1989 bottom end. I don't want to touch the bottom end(no machining of valve reliefs. I want a cam that will pull all the way to the 6250 rev limiter but not kill the bottom end. The E303, F303, and B303 cams are the most popular cams I've seen for these engines. Competition Cams has some interesting grinds but they may be too large.

How much lift and duration can I use before clearancing the pistons?

What cams have you tried?

What is your opinion of the cams that you tried?

Thanks,

Dan McGrath

i would bolt on a head wwith about 20ft/lbs torque and put some clay on piston and turn motor through by hand.measure depth of clay where valve hit.it is better to know for your self than to find out the hard way.edelbrock probably has a cam to match the heads.best to find a good 5.0 shop and see what they are running.the problem with hydralic roller lifters is weight-6250 is about the limit for revs because of reciprocating mass of lifter.the after markit heads moved valve position slightly-that is why you should check it.

I was reading Lingenfelters book some more last night (it's about the SBC, but some of the stuff is general).

Lingenfelter mentions that going solid roller on the street does not mean that the usual vavle lash adjustment interval will be needed, but can be extended, as the new roller cam and lifter designs don't fall out of adjustment as the flat tappet solids do. There's preformance to be gained with solids, as the solid roller lifters are generally a good bit lighter than the hydraulic rollers lifters, and they obviously don't pump up either.

Still a bunch of money though. For a mild cam, I don't see the point in roller cams, unless your block already has them and all the other required parts (shorter pushrods, etc.). From research I've done on cams, if you're getting above say 280 advertised duration, then it might start making sense - otherwise save your money and buy better heads, etc. Just my humble opinion.