HybridZ

Headlight bucket stud size

zero

Hey all. This is a silly question I know, but I don't have a thread gauge handy and the thread on the headlight bucket is finer than anything home depot offers. I had some rusty headlight bucket studs and so I need to order new nuts for the studs. Does anyone know offhand what thread those nuts are so I can order some from McMaster. I searched and couldn't find any info. Thanks guys.

Has anyone replaced the studs on the headlight buckets before? When I was pulling mine off, they sheared pretty badly. I was considering drilling them out, filling it in with some epoxy, then drilling and re-threading it. But the fiberglass is probably pretty brittle after 40 odd years, and I'm a little nervous about trying to remove the old ones.

Has anyone replaced the studs on the headlight buckets before? When I was pulling mine off, they sheared pretty badly. I was considering drilling them out, filling it in with some epoxy, then drilling and re-threading it. But the fiberglass is probably pretty brittle after 40 odd years, and I'm a little nervous about trying to remove the old ones.

I've replaced the studs on three fiberglass headlight buckets. Old broken studs are easily removed. I bought new studs at my local ACE hardware parts bin. Take a nut with you to match threads. I filed down the round head of the proper sized threaded screw so that it was flat on front & back instead of a round head - result is "T" shaped. The cross bar on the "T" fits nicely in the hole/socket left by the old stud and serves as an anchor to keep screw from turning when you snug up the nut during installation on the car. Fill socket with epoxy, insert "T" head first, let dry, reinstall bucket on Z.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno