HybridZ

5.0L into a 510

383 240z

Has any body here done this swap? I'm not very familiar with fords but was bench racing with some buds this weekend and we just happened to find a nice 510 at a very good price in the local boneyard. the front suspension looked very similar to the z so if a 5.0 fits a z why not a 510? thanks for any help Keith

Guest Anonymous

Well I won't say it can't be done, I've seen a Rover (Buick/Olds/Pontiac 215) V8 in one. Look at the engine compartment though, one is long and relatively wide, the other is short and narrow. I'm sure over its long history someone has put a Ford in one, just has to have happened I'd say. The weight distribution on a V8 510 would be pretty heavy up front, handling wouldn't be nimble like the average 510 thats been gone through.

I guess it depends on what your looking for the car to do. (and yeah, it sounds cool from a strickly HP sense... icon_smile.gif ).

Regards,

Lone

Last year I went to a Z meet that had a V8 powered 510 autocross car. The wicked car had no real firewall to speak of and motor was mounted extremely low too. The logistics of the swap need to be ironed out first with extreme care taken regarding engine placement. I have seen it done, but the amount of weight in the front might be a tad high for some folks taste. As Lone noted, a Buick 215 (Rover V8) swap might be better...of course your tranny choices become limited. Still, it is something to ponder--it would make a neat sleeper and be brutally fast.

Davy

the rover 4.0l from a discovery are not hard to get(they leak like a seive though(damn british junk)) there are sources for bellhousing adapters to popular GM trans so that might be a thought. I had a defender 90 with a SBC in it( my first hybrid) but after working for a land rover dealer I'll never own another one! We had a recall campaign to fix a recall campaign!! Keith

Guest Anonymous

I saw another car with a 5.0 that was raced at autocross events, it has an R200 and full box flares. I think it was on 1 of the 510 websites like the Dime Quarterly or 510 again. The guy was from WA or OR.